Saucon Valley (Weyhill) - Pennsylvania - USA

Pennsylvania (PA) 18015,

• Gene Mattare

• William and David Gordon

• Mike Wood

One of three impressive 18-hole layouts at Saucon Valley, the tree-lined fairways of the Weyhill course were set around an old abandoned quarry by William and David Gordon in the mid-1960s.

The course was once operated by the local Bethlehem Steel Company and – despite the pedigree of its esteemed older siblings, the Old and the Grace – many consider the Weyhill layout to comprise the most picturesque 18 holes on the property.

Superintendent Jim Roney kindly supplied us with the following comments:

“A sympathetic restoration took place in 2010 and the architect who carried out the work was Tom Marzolf from Fazio Golf. The goals of the project were to refresh the golf course yet hold onto the past. Some of the design elements included modernizing and updating the course while maintaining the existing appearance. We wanted to create a fun and beautiful playing experience for all handicaps with a sympathetic restoration that preserved the original design.

We elected to keep a similar bunker style, keep the course challenging yet not punishing while improving playability issues by adding tees for higher handicap golfers. Additionally, we wanted to find ways to reduce labor and maintenance costs. As a result, we reduced the number of bunkers by a third and converted out of play rough to native areas.

The project consisted of reconstructing all the greens to USGA specification, rebuilding all the bunkers, adding forward and back teeing areas, shifting fairways and installing subsurface storm drainage. The game of golf has changed since Weyhill opened so all the modifications were made to cope with modern technology.”

Reviews for Saucon Valley (Weyhill)

Description: One of three 18-hole layouts at Saucon Valley Country Club, the Weyhill course was set around an old abandoned quarry by William and David Gordon in the mid-1960s. Rating: 8.3 out of 10 Reviews: 3
John Bee

When I played the Weyhill course, only executives of Bethlehem Steel and Air Products could join. I was fortunate enough to be acquainted with a fellow whose brother-in-law was a retired Bethlehem Steel executive. Not counting Pine Valley, which is in its own league, Weyhill was very special and very, very private. I was told that, other than on special occasions, only about 4 or 5 foursomes per day played the course. The conditions were pristine. I was embarrassed to take a divot on the perfect fairways. The course was challenging, but it strength is its quietness, pace of play and natural surroundings. I did not see golfer, other than those in our foursome, all day.

My first impression, at Weyhill, was my most memorable. More memorable than the course. When I arrived in the courtyard in front of the stone farmhouse/club house, a middle aged man dressed in suit pants, shirt, tie and a vest immediately appeared. He opened my car door, welcomed me to Weyhill and told me to go into the clubhouse to meet my host. He would take care of every thing, including my car, golf clubs, shoes and the change of clothes I had brought. Upon reaching the clubhouse door, it was immediately opened by a middle aged woman, who welcomed me again and lead me to a small dining room, where my host and the rest of the foursome were gathered. The woman took my drink order. Once we all had a drink, the man, who had met me at the car, directed us to a table, where he took our lunch orders. The food was cooked and served by the man and woman, who I later found out were married and lived there as the caretakers. After lunch, the man directed us to the well appointed locker room, where all of our golf clothes and shoes were. We dressed and walked out to the golf carts, which already had our bags on them. Everything happened efficiently and perfectly and all by just two people. I was impressed.

September 22, 2021

Jonathan Wilson

The Weyhill course at Saucon Valley is beautiful and features a great variety of holes. The 14th hole, in particular, sticks out as a par 3 over an old quarry. Hitting fairways here is important as the rough can be gnarly and the greens have a lot of slope to them. My personal favorite at Saucon Valley CC.

November 30, 2020

Fergal O'Leary
Saucon Valley Country Club proudly boasts 60 holes of golf (3 18s and a 6 hole short course). The Weyhill course was acquired over a decade ago from Bethlehem Steel ownership and is the youngest member of the Saucon portfolio. William and David Gordon finished developing the course in 1968 and it is widely referred to as the most picturesque of all the courses at the club. It’s a short drive from the main clubhouse and has its own facilities and house. Many of the members mentioned how it was their favourite course to play as you’re away from all the hustle and are peacefully surrounded by rivers, Saucon Valley (Weyhill) Golf Course - Photo by reviewerbridges, ponds and pretty flower beds. It’s not just a walk in the park though, you’ll have to buckle up to hit the long par 4 3rd in regulation and will constantly be asked to shape the ball off the back tees to navigate the many dog-legs on the front side. Being one of the two host courses for the 2014 US Mid-Amateur, the course has plenty of bite to its charm. The back nine offers significant changes in elevation, especially holes 14, 15 and 16. Two of the most spectacular are the holes that bridge a quarry located in the middle of the course. The 14th hole is a par three measuring 176 yards in length. The tee shot must carry the quarry to a green that slopes dramatically from right to left and back to front. The 15th fairway is a narrow spine pitching from left to right leading to a monstrous uphill approach shot to an elevated green well-guarded by a series of bunkers set into the hillside. The 16th is a short downhill par 3 over a hidden river which is followed by the highly strategic 17th hole. It's 365 yards from the back tee with a river running all the way in front of you from the tee box directly up to the green. You could play to the right side of the river to the narrow fairway which has 4 stacked bunkers waiting for you, or you could actually play left down a parallel fairway. This risk/reward situation comes just at the right time as matches are going down to the wire. Weyhill measures 6,859 yards from the back tee markers but could easily stretch to over 7,000 yards should the need arise.
July 20, 2014