Review for Saunton (East)

Saunton is a great golfing destination that we very happily played last week in beautiful sunshine with our Editor in Chief. If you are interested in my overall thoughts, rather than copy and paste I would ask you have a look at the opening to my contemporaneous review of the West which we played in the morning.

The East starts superbly with a tough, elevated double dog leg par 4, then reachable par 5 with lateral water hazard at the critical distance framing the fairway. The middle section flows nicely with very good but not stand out holes in the manner of other courses such as Burnham & Berrow, Aberdovey or Royal St Davids before some excellent links holes to complete the round.

The greens were quick and true with strategic bunkering and interesting green sites, and once you turn for home the succession of tough par 4’s makes protecting your score a tough task.

To echo some other reviews, lengthening a couple of holes to make some genuine par 5’s would add some variety and respite to the course, but really it’s great already so make the trip and enjoy a (in my experience) unique 36 hole day of golf.

Date: May 16, 2017

Read all reviews about Saunton (East)