Review for Saunton (East)

The East course at Saunton is generally regarded as the flag course of the club, as it is undoubtedly the most suitable for competitive golf.

It is, without a doubt, a tough and long course, in which a long and accurate drive is essential in order to avoid the bunkers and hazards and tackle the greens from a Saunton (East) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer reasonable distance.

In my case, and although I managed well my way through the course, I must confess that the test proved arduous, to which a windy day contributed, as well as the t length of the course from the white stakes.

The course begins in an intense way, with a good number of par 4s of appreciable difficulty, and only a good par 5 where to score, apart from a charming short par 3, much more complicated in fact than its yardage could indicate.

This abundance of par 4s does not mean that the round is monotonous, since many of them are different from each other: among them, I especially liked the 8th, with its blind drive and a second shot to a green nestled between dunes, or the Saunton (East) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer 10th, a short par 4 with a beautiful plateau green.

Finally, the last holes offer a greater variety, highlighting the last two, the 17th, a brutish par 3, and the 18th, a dogleg par 4 with the final prospect of the clubhouse, where you can enjoy a well-earned rest.

In my opinion, if there is one aspect to highlight of the course are the greens, all of them varied and interestingly contoured, and it is there where this course is superior to its younger brother the West.

And, although this course is not among my favorite links courses (in general, I prefer those that run close to the sea, like Brora, North Berwick or Dornoch), it does not mean that it is not a quality links and a real test of skill for any golfer .

Date: July 03, 2019

Read all reviews about Saunton (East)