Review for Saunton (East)

This was my 2nd visit to Saunton East and one that I was very much looking forward to. My 1st visit was a couple of years ago and we literally drove in, played 18, jumped in the car and drove out and so I was happy to be spending the whole day there this time, playing the East in the morning and the West in the afternoon - with some lunch in between!

On my last visit we played from the yellow tees, but this time we opted for the whites (the starter informed us that as a member for over 20yrs he's only played from the yellow tees 3 times) and i'm glad we did. The course is set up for play from the back tees and some of the tee shots appear easier than they did when we played from the yellows.

The course was in great condition and as expected the ball was rolling nicely on the fairways. Our only criticism was the lack of consistency on the greens regarding speed. Some were lightning quick (as you'd expect) and some were ridiculously slow, which meant 3 putts were a common occurrence. My lob wedge approach to the 10th actually stopped on the slope on the front of the green, rather than roll down towards the hole!

That said, there are many enjoyable holes (the stretch between 8 & 12 were personal favourites), and if someone can tell me how to play the 117yd 5th and keep the ball on the green I'd be eternally grateful.

The 18th is a dogleg played to a green situated in front of the clubhouse, which when you've finished your round gives you chance to sit on the patio with a beer and critique the golfers following you.

A must play if you're a fan of links golf!

Date: July 10, 2019

Read all reviews about Saunton (East)