Review for Saunton (East)

I wish I lived within driving distance of Saunton! The members here are some seriously lucky people. I often read in reviews about the debate of the best 36 hole golf complex in England and whilst my soft spot for Sunningdale will be hard to shift, Saunton must run it pretty close.

Saunton isn’t the easiest place in the country to get to, but if you haven’t ticked it off your list, it’s a must for any golf fanatic.

From the moment you leave your car and make your way to the clubhouse entrance, you pass the 18th green of the East and look out over the undulating fescue covered dunes, it has you salivating for the round to come.

The East starts with an elevated tee box that offers views of the task that lies ahead. It’s a fantastic opening hole played over a decent carry onto a pristine green fairway. The course then meanders through the dunes, throwing you in all different directions. I’ve seen some critics say that the East has too many Par 4s (13 in total, including a stretch of 7), but they are all so much fun, testing and different, that it really doesn’t matter. There are doglegs rights and lefts, short and long, uphill and downhill approaches, blind drives and holes that are laid out in front of you. What more could you want?

Of the rest, the Par 3s are a real test! How you find the dance floor on the Par 3 122y 5th is anyone’s guess. Certainly our fourball wouldn’t be able to offer any suggestions here.

And the 208y Par 3 17th, when playing into the wind, is a strong wood for even the biggest hitters.

The course is immaculate throughout. The care and effort they put into not just the fairways, but the run off areas, paths, land around the creeks is just incredible and rarely seen at other courses. The greens ran true and were beautifully contoured throughout.

I can’t say enough good things about this wonderful course and if there’s a better 36 hole links venue in England, I’m all ears. I can’t wait to come back.

For all photos of reviews, please follow Chris’ Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/top.100.golf/

Date: August 28, 2020

Read all reviews about Saunton (East)