Seacroft - Lincolnshire - England

Skegness,
Lincolnshire,
PE25 3AU,

• S edge of Skegness near Nature Reserve

• Welcome, contact in advance.

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Seacroft

If you follow the signs to Gibraltar Point National Nature Reserve, which extends along the picturesque Lincolnshire coast from the southern end of Skegness to the Wash, you'll come across a traditional bracing links. More than 150 miles of coastline stretch between Seaton Carew and Hunstanton – Seacroft is the very best seaside links you'll find in between.

Originally founded in 1895, Seacroft Golf Club started out in life as a nine-hole course and, in 1900, Willie Fernie extended it to 18 holes. Sir Guy Campbell made alterations in the 1920s, although nine of Fernie's original holes still remain intact. "It is one of those courses that runs, roughly speaking, straight out and home," wrote Bernard Darwin in The Golf Courses of the British Isles. "And the nine holes that we play with the wind in our face we think really beautiful, while with the wind behind us we are just a little disappointed... it must often happen that the wind is neither for us nor against us, but blows straight across the course. Then the golf must be really difficult, for the fairway is uniformly narrow and the rough wonderfully tenacious."

The course begins in pleasant suburbia and immediately the scene is set – accurate driving is the order of the day at Seacroft Golf Club. The outward nine occupies lower lying ground, a small dune ridge runs down the left and the road to Gibraltar Point and out-of-bounds lies threateningly to the right. The 8th hole, called "Sand Pit", epitomises the challenge. From the back tee you have to drive bravely over the edge of the road. To make matters worse, a cross bunker waits eagerly to catch your best drive. The 9th hole, a par five called "Gibraltar", will stick firmly in the memory on the way out.

Coming home, there is a feeling of elevated spaciousness, which lulls the unsuspecting into a false sense of security. Gone is the road to Gibraltar Point, instead there's acres of gorse. This is no place to open your shoulders. "Sea View", the par five 13th, "strikes equal terror into the soul," wrote Darwin. "Here the hole stands on a small plateau, and in front is a big bunker in the face of the hill...and the hole lives up to its name, for there is a view of a big stretch of sea."

Apart from straight hitting, you'll need to score well on each of the four excellent short holes. The 12th, called "Island", is a cracking par three (a par four for the ladies). It measures 210 yards and invariably plays directly into the teeth of the prevailing wind – a par here is one to savour.

Seacroft is certainly off the beaten track and Skegness isn't the holiday destination that it once was, but a visit to this amazing understated links will certainly lift your soul.

Reviews for Seacroft

Description: The course begins in pleasant suburbia and immediately the scene is set – accurate driving is the order of the day at Seacroft Golf Club. Rating: 7.3 out of 10 Reviews: 23
Neil White

"Be prepared for the wind," smirked one wag at our club as I explained that we were off to Skeggy the following day to make our debuts at Seacroft. This chap isn't renowned for understatement but this was Michael Fish proportions. The wind was so strong on our Sunday by the coast that as we putted out on one hole, all four of our golf trolleys were blown over. Twice Mrs W chased either hers or one belonging to our intrepid four down the fairway.

This was links golf at its most testing but, having survived a near-gale during the first nine we dipped our proverbial bread with it at our backs on the way home.

Seacroft Golf Club

Seacroft is a challenger for the best value among England's top 100 courses. We benefited from a £30 twilight rate, teeing off at 3pm when there were still seven hours of light remaining. It has some very interesting holes, with the 8th, known as the Sandpit, requiring the most thought with a tee shot which draws over a public road before a blind chip over a huge bunker, or should I say dune. Many of the holes are blind which would have been fine but problems with fairway maintenance during the hot spell meant that the direction of travel wasn't easy to read. To be fair, we were warned n the professional's shop that the fairways were not at their best because of lack of course irrigation and it being open to the elements, This was as significant an understatement as the weather prediction. Frankly, it was difficult to distinguish fairway and rough on many holes. Fortunately, our round was neither spoiled by this nor the weather.

Seacroft Golf Club

Seacroft may be challenging but does give golfers a chance - with splendidly true and receptive greens. We very much enjoyed our afternoon but I would like to play it again when the fairways are back to peak condition.

July 05, 2020

Peter Handcock

Seacroft is a fantastic out and back links course that really gets the most of the land. It has a few nothing holes, but these are cancelled out by some really great links holes. Holes 3, 7, 8, 10, 13, 15 and 16 are all brilliant holes, 7 and 8 being particularly unique with shots into blind greens.

If you're near Seacroft, you must visit, and you must also have the Mars Bar cheesecake in the clubhouse!

April 29, 2020

Jez

Seacroft, best described as a thorn between two roses! The two roses being infact Skegness!

I'd imagine it's the only top 100 golf course without a car park but this traditional golf club is a very interesting place. Placed on a very narrow strip of land walking straight through the gates under the arch into the club, it's easy to judge and think it's just a regular local club.

The club was friendly and we pretty much had the course to ourselves on a weekday in March. It's a very traditional links course with the 'car park' of sorts only at the other end of the course. (1.75 miles away)

Even in March, I thought the greens were in great condition, not incredibly fast but as you would expect them. The greens are really a great part of the course. Some good blind tee shots which aren't as scary as they look. Not many stand out holes to report of but some good par 5's which are definitely scoreable.

Overall on balance, I think it deserves a spot in the top 100, there are a few courses ranked lower I think deserve a spot above (like Sheringham) but I can see why it's included.

February 18, 2020

Andy Cocker

What a gem Seacroft is. One would not naturally think top quality golf at Skegbess but this is a delight. At the sourhern end of the town youll probably have the course to yourself as we did on a 3pm tee time.

Its an out and back of pure fun traditional links with blind shots, humps and borrows and some memorable fun holes.

You dont get to really see the sea, its some way off but this a top quality course and i would recommend you make the effirt. You can combine with North Shore which whilst not at this level is also a links/parkland course and can help make a weekend of it in Skegness

When we got back to the clubhouse there was noone else there but they had stayed open just for us. A real friendly club.

July 20, 2019

Sam Mendoza

Absolutely loved this classic links course off the beaten track. Would 100% suggest people make the trip when staying in Woodhall to play the courses there

There is a great selection of holes here to test the every part of your game.

The course when we played it had clearly been struggling from a tough/dry summer in 2018 as the fairways were extremely patchy, however the greens and tees were fantastic

This place is a bargain. Well worth making the effort

June 22, 2019

Charles

Played Seacroft for the first time on a cold February day after a spell of very poor weather had closed the Nottinghamshire courses (Hollinwell and Sherwood Forest) that had been on my list. I thought a links might have stood up to the conditions rather better, and was proved right. In fact, I was astonished at how good the greens were, still hard and fast despite being battered for weeks.

Overall, was it worth the drive? I'd say yes, certainly. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's classic links golf in the traditional mould, with very tight fairways and plenty of blind or semi-blind shots. I wouldn't say it is anywhere near as good as Silloth, as is implied in the main article here, but it's no gimme and a lot of fun to play. The 7th 8th and 9th make a run of three highly entertaining holes, and the 7th in particular, played into the wind, wouldn't look out of place on courses of much greater renown.

February 12, 2018

Ed Battye

Seacroft is a golf course for those who like their links golf pure and undiluted. It's a classic out-and-back course with just the right mix of rugged duneland and quirky, humpty-dumpty terrain. It creates a blend of unique links golf that is both testing and immensely enjoyable.

I'd been aware of Seacroft for some time but never ventured to the seaside town of Skegness to play it until 2014. After my first round I was left wondering why I had left it so long in my golfing career to sample this time-honoured links course and immediately promised myself I'd be back sooner rather than later to experience its charm and challenge once again. I have now returned several times and each time it impresses me more.

I had that same feeling once before after playing Silloth on Solway for the first time and I can't help draw comparisons between the two. Not necessarily in the style of the course, as they are both quite different, but in the sense that until fairly recently Silloth was relatively unknown to the mass golfing world. Now it is widely acclaimed as one of the finest links courses on the planet and as a result golfers flock to the remote part of Cumbria from afar. It was even awarded the English Amateur Championship in 2012 adding further to its status.

Seacroft has similar accessibility issues to Silloth and although not quite as far off the beaten track it's not the easiest, or rather the quickest place, to get to from major towns and cities across the UK. Nor does it have allies in other strong links courses nearby where players may stay and play a few courses in the area. That certainly shouldn't act as a deterrent for you to venture to the Lincolnshire coast though. It alone is well worthy of the trip.

I feel that by playing Seacroft I have been let in to a little secret. But it's a secret I'm not willing to keep. I'm confident that this is a ticking time bomb of a course and once the cat is out of the bag it will lead to it becoming a much more well-known and sought after destination. This won't occur overnight, and will require the main-stream national golf media to laud due praise on it, but I'm certain it will happen and I for one will be recommending people pay a visit.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

June 01, 2017

Patrick McGarey

I played Seacroft on a clear April day and was very glad that I made the effort. This is a classic, old-school links course which plays hard and fast, Seacroft Golf Course - Photo by reviewer with excellent greens. Many interesting and challenging holes, and no poor holes that I can recall. Due to its location, roughly an hour away from Woodhall Spa, this course can be readily added to a larger golf itinerary for a player who doesn't mind an hour or two of driving to reach his next day's challenge. Very good golf is available both to the north and south of Seacroft, and can be readily researched on the Top 100 website.

May 02, 2017

Warren
Seacroft was a real surprise packet. In a way it reminded me of several great courses...Panmure in its' understatement and Brancaster in the layout, the outward 9 played slightly below the ridge and the inward 9 played across the top of it. Hardly a weak hole but plenty of strong ones. The long par 3 out the back (the 12th?) is a great looking hole, not unlike the 16th at Carnoustie. As you look out on the water on the back 9 I couldn't help but wonder what kind of course the links land between course and sea could come up with. I played this gem on a beautiful July 2015 Sunday afternoon for 25pounds and like so many times I more or less had the course to myself. Why is this so? Skegness town was absolutely heaving as I drove through - surely at this price a course like this should be packed?
August 12, 2015

Alan Ford
Utterly lovely course: stuck in a time warp of the 1960, but none the worse for that. Friendly and unpompous staff, who gave us a warm welcome. Course in good condition - fairways a bit rough and unmanicured, but greens in excellent condition.A proper links experience with holes tightly arranged parallel to the seashore. We were very lucky to play it ion a warm June day with no wind - but even so a challenging course, with one wonderful par 5 on the back nine - the 13th - where you drive on to a fairway, then hit a second drive blind on to a different fairway at 45 degrees, and then a third (hopefully) blind on to an elevated green. And all this for £40. Wonderful.
July 14, 2015