The 18-hole layout at Sewickley Heights Golf Club was only five years old when it was selected to host the U.S. Women’s Amateur championship in 1966. The final match that year lasted 41 holes, the longest in the tournament’s history.
The club's course was originally laid out by Jim Harrison (who worked for Donald Ross in the 1920s) and his son-in-law “Fred” Garbin. Both father and son-in-law became President of the American Society of Golf Course Architects (1955 and 1968 respectively). Garbin was an avowed admirer of Donald Ross and he restored a number of the Scottish master's Pennsylvanian courses during his career.
In 2016, architect Jim Cervone was contacted by the club to oversee an extensive greens renovation. Four greens that has been converted to bentgrass five years earlier were returned to Poa Annua and all the other greens – two of which were rebuilt in new locations – were re-laid with the same type of grass.