Shrewsbury Golf Club was founded in 1891, moving from where its first course was located at Hencote to Meole Brace a year later, with local professional named Bill Lewis setting out a 9-hole course for the members.
This layout was extended to eighteen holes in 1920. Shortly after World War II ended, C. K. Cotton was called in to make the course fit for play again. It lasted for another twenty five years, until the club was forced to relocate because of road developments.
Grange Farm at Condover was acquired and a new course developed, opening for play in 1972. Today, it extends to 6,207 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 70, with holes 11 to 17 laid out on the other side of a railway line that cuts through the property.
Highlight holes include short par fours at the 4th and 13th, along with the only par five on the inward half, at the slightly left doglegged 15th. The longest par fours on both nines (the 442-yard 5th and 446-yard 12th) are also the most difficult on the card, rated stroke index 2 and 1.