Review for Silloth on Solway

Played this course the day after my birthday as a gift from my girlfriend (who walked around with me, and hit a few cheeky shots when there were no members in sight!!!). Made the shortish trip from Keswick and was a very pleasant drive. Lovely sunny spells, but to give you an idea of how strong the wind was, i stood my trolley bag up outside the car as i got my shoes on and the wind blew it over!! First four or five holes are as tough driving holes as i've ever played, but was delighted to hit low and straight screamers at all of them. Really enjoyed the round once i realised that my handicap meant not a thing at this course. Par three's were the most memorable holes for me, with the 12th a gem. I still have alot to learn about links golf as i hit the five iron of my life at the 12th. Pitched virtually on the hole, but ran off the back of a hard green. This is a course where you may not be immediately blown away by the beauty, but you remember lovely things about the course as you reminisce the round. On one hole you literaly have to climb out of the green it's so secluded. Members v. friendly and Mr Todd regaled us with tales of Cecil Leitch (who he claimed hit it like a man), and the railroad company. Only one gripe- found the proshop workers very unfriendly and unwelcoming (considering the effort to get there), perhaps the knew-found fame of the course is getting to their heads. Will return one day i hope. Shab, Moor Allerton GC Leeds. Handicap 12 Claim to fame- parred first 3 holes into the teeth of the wind. Sadly round deteriorated after that!

Date: September 24, 2009