Silloth on Solway - Cumbria - England

Station Road,
Silloth,
Cumbria,
CA7 4AE,

At last, Silloth on Solway Golf Club’s reputation is becoming recognised more widely, thoroughly deserving its position in the Top 100 and one of England's best links courses.

Founded in 1892, with the help of Railway Company money, it was originally designed by Davy Grant (with a little help from Willie Park Junior). Silloth is famous for its affiliation with ladies' golf.

The famous Leitch sisters learnt to play golf on the Silloth links. Charlotte Cecilia Pitcairn Leitch (or Cecil as she became known), went on to be the best lady golfer in the world, winning a record four British, five French, two English and one Canadian titles. In 1910, Cecil played a match against Harold Hilton (one of the greatest male golfers of the time) over 72 holes, 36 at Walton Heath and 36 at Sunningdale. Sportingly, Hilton gave Cecil nine shots per 18 holes and found himself five holes up in the last round, with only the last 15 holes to play. Cecil, showing true grit, fought her way back and ended up winning on the 71st green 2 up and 1 to play.

Silloth has parliamentary connections too. Viscount Willie Whitelaw was the President of Silloth on Solway Golf Club until his death in 1999.

You have to make an extra special effort to get to Silloth because it is located in one of the most remote and isolated places in England, at the mouth of the Solway Firth. When you get to Silloth, it’s a surprise to see the nearby industry that slightly blots an otherwise perfect landscape.

With heather and gorse adding brilliant splashes of seasonal colour, this is a cracking links golf course. When the wind blows, it’s unlikely that you will play to your handicap. Even on a calm day, you’ll find it tough. "It is also the home of the winds," wrote Darwin, "when I was there the wind did not blow really hard, but hard enough to make a fool of me." Finding the tight greens is no mean feat and when you do, they are tough to read with their subtle borrows.

It’s well worth the time (and the money) to get to Silloth and once you get there, you won’t want to leave. You are at one of the best value golf courses in the whole of the British Isles.

Reviews for Silloth on Solway

Description: It’s well worth the time (and the money) to get to Silloth on Solway Golf Club and once you get here, you won’t want to leave... Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Reviews: 57
DG
Stopped off at Silloth on our way north to Fife in mid-June. Played in a 3-club wind with heavy rain for the final 9 holes of our round. Despite the conditions we enjoyed our round. On a number of fairways there were GUR marked out in hollows where presumably water had collected and remained over the Winter/Spring months. Otherwise the course was in excellent condition. Favourite holes were the short 9th and very tricky 13th. In my opinion, the two finishing holes are a little bland by comparison with what precedes them. Silloth is challenging and enjoyable in almost equal measure. This was my third visit and hope to go back again.
June 24, 2013

paul
However far off the beaten track this place looks, throw the map away and get yourself there, its well worth the effort. some fanastic holes, front nine has some memorable holes, quite a few with sunken greens in amongst the sand dunes so blind shots to flags .... you just know the greens down there somewhere. the back nine is little more forgetable but its a great test of golf. friendly enough welcome, and dont be put off by the 'ghost town' drive down the seafront to get to the course ... i guess it just adds to the isolated feel and nature of the place. if you make the effort to drive to here, also go that little bit further over the border and try Southerness which probably isn't that far over the Solway - as the crow flies....
June 06, 2013

Vorndron
Played at Silloth in early may on a damp, dull day but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've played Silloth 5 times now and I love the course more each time I play it. The course was is fantastic condition and the greens were superb. In more recent years the course has become a little easier to play, especially from the tee, as much of the gorse has been removed from some holes but this does detract from the course. All in all I'd say that Silloth is without doubt the best value course in the UK.
May 22, 2013

Mark Knight
Played Silloth on a very cold windy and rainy day in March when it would have been really easy to hate it. But, I thought it fantastic. The first 9 I thought I was to have the round of my life, but then we turned into the wind and very nearly ruined our cards. The course is stunning, thought provoking, demanding but very fair. I would imagine that on a beautiful day it would be breathtaking and I only hope I get the chance to play it again like that. Off course the people were very welcoming and attentive and the refreshments are good and fairly priced. Back on the course I cannot single out an outstanding hole as they were all individual and special.
March 10, 2013

Steve Searle
If any serious golfer has ventured to the very north of England, scoured the map and thought that Silloth Golf Club is just a bit too far out of the way. Well, I would seriously advise them to have a rethink and make the effort to play there.The course is a real test for any level of golfer but the sheer variety of holes never lets you get bored at any point during the round. There are short par 3’s, short par 4’s, testing dog-leg par 4’s and one of the best par 5’s I’ve played. As you would expect, when the wind blows the course can be brutal, demanding patience and nerve hit narrow fairways and small well-protected greens.Unfortunately, for my visit in November it was very evident that the course had suffered due to the sheer amount of rain that had fallen throughout 2012. I would be very surprised if money is not invested in extra drainage to certain areas of the course. Some of the low lying areas on some of the fairways were a foot deep in water. For a links course this is extremely rare but to be fair it didn’t detract from the overall challenge of the course in any way at all.There are some truly memorable holes. If only all course designers could take a look at the 9th; a short but memorable par 3. Measuring only 130 yards, the tee shot is played from a raised tee but it demands precision and total commitment to hit the small target. If that isn’t enough there are some deep well-placed bunkers surrounding the green, seemingly staring at you whilst you deliberate what club to hit. Who needs a 250 yard par 3 when they are as good as this?The 13th is just one of the many holes that has used the natural contours of the land to maximum effect. In this instance a sublime, strategically challenging par 5 has been created. The tee shot must find the relatively flat fairway but it is only then that the fun really starts. Should you lay- up short of the banks of heather you can see in the distance or try to hit a fairway wood or hybrid to the raised area short of the green? The only problem is that this area is very small and if you go left you’ll have a horrendous lie; similarly if you go right heavy heather lies in wait. The fun doesn’t stop there as the fall offs from both sides of the green are steep and severe. What a wonderful golf hole!The 2 holes I’ve outlined are just a small glimpse of what there is on offer. I could wax lyrical about the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 11th and 14th holes which are all a great test of golf in their own right. I was so glad that I made the effort to go out of my way to play Silloth. If any serious golfer has not done so, I would advise them to go out of their way to play here. It is a super course with a splendid variety of holes. It is tough but it is fair and a rollercoaster ride you won’t forget in a hurry. Simply, a must play golf course. Steve Searle
November 24, 2012

Vorndron
Played at Silloth last weekend after a 4 year absence in glorious conditions, warm sunshine and not a breath of wind. Having only ever played here in winter the course certainly played easier but it still offers a stiff challenge in benign conditions. Playing from the white tees the course is long enough but it does not feel like a hard slog. The front is the better visually, with the view off the 5th tee being the highlight, but the back nine is the more difficult. The course gives you good opportunities to score well, the 2nd and 10th are two short par 4's and all of the par 5's do offer you a birdie chance as they are not over long. But in my opinion the strength of the course lies with its par 3's, four of them in all. The first is the 6th, from an elevated tee it’s a mid iron to a bowl shaped green with trouble and a devilish bunker front left. The 9th, along with the 5th, is probably the signature hole on the course. Only a wedge or 9 iron, its surrounded by bunkers and steep run offs either side of the green. The two pars 3s on the back nine, 12 and 15, are of similar length were a long iron or hybrid is needed to hit the green. Both holes have thick gorse and heavy rough running down the entire right hand side of the hole, so anything slighty off line is a goner. The greens are raised up too so you cant run the ball in. To finish the course has a long par 5 (17) and a great par 4 in 18 that finishes at the side of the clubhouse. Yes silloth is a bit of a treck but not that much of a treck !!, make the effort, if you do you wont be disappointed. Excellent
September 24, 2012

Andy
This is one of the best links I have played, really punishing rough, very true greens although not very fast. The catering is spot on, and all the staff we met were friendly and extremely proud of their club. The weather may decide how well your scorecard looks and if your home club allows you to open your shoulders Silloth may be a stiff challenge. 10/10 for me.
July 16, 2012

Martin Jordan
Silloth had been on the MPPJ radar for ages however, the recent bad weather made me question if this was the right time to make the 5 hour round trip to play here as winter golfing happiness could have been easily achieved a lot closer to home, and this was one course that I wanted to play with its best drawers on. But I, like many, have been champing at the golfing bit recently and that coupled with further reassurance from the Silloth Pro Shop, and the indispensible BBC 5 day forecast, (always check the flythrough) we decided to make the cross border raid.

I have to confess that pre-round research of Silloth through websites, books and photos made the place look a bit austere. I am very happy to report that although tough, it is a very fair and aesthetically stunning outpost, a sublime course of dells, gorse, challenging drives and pulpit greens, it is wonderful. I have mentioned the carries from the tees, some quite considerable, and many into a prevailing wind so, if you are struggling off the tee, this may not be the place for you. In fact, if I had visited last year when I couldn’t have driven Miss Daisy never mind a golf ball, it may have been too much for me. However, the Big Dog was in a benevolent mood so I shouldn’t have been such a big girl’s blouse.

Favourite holes? That is tough as I don’t think that there is a weak hole but holes 4,9,12 and 15 are a wee cut above. I must also mention the fantastic treatment from the catering staff, who couldn’t have done any more for us and further thanks to the ordinary members we encountered during our round and afterwards in the clubhouse who were as friendly as I have ever experienced on an away day. So if you fancy a day by the sea with an abundance of quality holes Silloth is the very place for you. It will challenge and delight in equal measure and you will not regret, for one solitary second, the time it took to get there. If I may I would like to leave the last word to the masterly Bernard Darwin who summed up Silloth far better than I ever could “Never in my life have I seen a more ideal piece of golfing country. There is everything that a golfers heart can desire”. MPPJ
February 04, 2011

BangYan
October 12, 2011
I think the 3rd at Silloth is one of best holes ive ever played and you dont mention it. Thats sums Silloth up for me. A great course
Ian
I played the course yesterday - 12-10-2010. The quality of the course was very poor. I can appreciate the green keepers preparing the course for the winter. However to charge full rate whilst the tees, some greens had been hollow-tined and covered in sand, and the fairways scored was unfair. The fairways hadn’t been cut or rolled for some time. Although the greens were in general pretty good. The layout of the course was good, albeit the par fives are not long enough. The fairways are too generous and should be narrowed and a couple more bunkers would make the course a stiffer test. When I played there was little wind and shot a 3 over 75 - and felt I left a lot of shot out there. The par 3’s are good. The front 9 is better than the back and would suggest making at least one of the 3 par 5’s on the back a par 4. The course doesn’t deserve to be as highly rated as it is in my opinion.
October 13, 2010

shab
October 17, 2010
Can't quite fathom this review. You must have caught the course on a bad day. Silloth is my favourite course that i've played and a regular fixture whenever I am up in the lakes. Class through and through. Also if you think the course is easy you must be the best golfer i've ever seen!
andy tibbs
Well well, played all the top links and this is well up there, only RCD is different class. Anybody over 18 handicap though dont bother, it will eat you. Great design, nice welcome and as for the green fee, nowhere is better value.
July 12, 2010