The Singapore Island Country Club has evolved and grown down the years; starting out in 1891 as “The Club,” becoming Royal Singapore Golf Club in 1938 then merging with the Royal Island Club in 1963 to form the golfing “superclub” that today offers its members a playing choice of four 18-hole courses in two different sites.
The New course was designed by Frank Pennink shortly after the amalgamated Singapore Island club was founded and it then took a team of ground staff at the club four years to construct the course at a cost of over one million dollars before it was unveiled at the end of 1969.
The Australian design team of Thomson and Perrett were called in to upgrade the course at the start of the new millennium and a new sand-based set of fairways plus a state of the art drainage system allows play to resume very soon after any inclement weather.
In early 2019 the New course closed for yet another redevelopment, this time under the stewardship of Graham Marsh. The refashioned layout is expected to reopen in 2021.