Slieve Russell - Cavan - Ireland

• Tony Walker

• Paddy Merrigan

• Michelle McGreevy

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Slieve Russell

Slieve Russell was a Following the Fairways favourite and the course regularly appeared in their ranking tables during the 1990s. The course is set in the heart of beautiful rolling County Cavan countryside amongst the lakes and drumlins. We have to confess that we had to look up “drumlins” because at first we thought they were distant relatives of the leprechaun. Anyway for those non-geographically minded amongst us, they are Irish hills shaped like the bowl of a teaspoon turned upside down and they are a landform characteristic of areas formerly covered by glaciers. So, now you know, and they do make for awkward stances following a wild tee shot!

This championship parkland course opened for play in 1992 and was designed by Paddy Merrigan. Slieve Russell presents a stern golfing challenge, with 50 acres of water waiting to catch the ball. The challenge from the championship tees is significant, measuring over 7,000 yards, but with multiple tees to choose from, the test can be tempered accordingly. It’s tough to know where the natural contours of the land stop and where man shaped the land. This is not a criticism it’s a compliment to Merrigan’s design skill, for the whole layout looks as nature intended. The 13th, the signature hole is a memorable par five, measuring 500 yards from the medal tees. The hole, a dogleg left around Lough Rud, cajoles us at the tee into taking on more of the water than we really should, with the potential reward of reaching the green in two.

County Cavan isn’t a natural golfing haunt, but it’s only two hours drive from Dublin and well worth making the journey. This is a tranquil and peaceful place more famous for angling than golf, but try telling that to Irishman Des Smyth. He won the Irish PGA title here at Slieve Russell in 1996.

Reviews for Slieve Russell

Description: Slieve Russell Golf & Country Club is set in the heart of beautiful rolling County Cavan countryside amongst the lakes and drumlins. Rating: 5.3 out of 6 Reviews: 3

Pleasantly surprised by this gem of a course. We stayed in the hotel and had no intention of making use of the golf course but only for the inviting green fee of 30 euro. We played this course on 17th of November and were expecting the course to be holding some water but the fairways and the course was in great condition. I really enjoyed the 2nd par 3 6th shooting down hill into a green protected by an array of bunkers. Also the 13th par 5 heading out over the lakes is magnificent. I would definitely rate this parkland course very highly.
November 25, 2010

Played SR this week after a gap of about two years and I have to say it was in top condition, I've played here several times in the past but wow has this course matured.Also, I've played quite a few courses around Ireland including some of the top courses but for me the condition of SR was excellent, I honestly believe it has to be up there with any of the reputable courses around.The attention to detail and effort given to the course has to be second to none and for only 30 euros in the monday open competition made it fantastic value for money.If you haven't played it before or if it's been awhile since you were last there then put it on your list to play I guarantee you won't be dissappointed.Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as we did with the second hole a real treat early on in the game.Just to finish and say that for me to take the time and write a review shows how much I loved the SR experince even if I didn't card a great score. ENJOY!!
May 27, 2010

I had a fantasic couple of days here last summer and I can recommend Slieve Russell to anybody. The condition was simply outstanding and the course was a serious test. Finding the huge rolling greens is one thing, getting down in two is something else entireley. Although it's a new course (and it won't necessarily appeal to the purists), you cannot fault this place...would return in a heartbeat. The hotel and leisure facilities also kept the wife happy!
April 14, 2005

David
August 20, 2008
i played this course 2 days in a row this week while staying at the hotel and i can honestly say it is the best course i have ever played. the greens are perfect and roll very very true. many of the holes skirt the 2 lakes at the course and the par 3 11th, par 4 12th and par 5 13th are irelands answer to "amen corner". wonderful setting and an amazing course that, due to its relitively new creation, has not yet been regarded as highly as it should. now is the time to play due to the course availability and (relatively)cheap green fees. a must play course for sure.