Review for Southerness

Played here on a Monday in late June. Course very busy but the four ball in front got round in good time - 3.5 hours.The setting of this course is as dramatic and beautiful as any I can think of, surrounded by the Galloway hills, the Solway, the Lake District mountains just 10 miles away and, across the sea, the Isle of Man.The course itself is not as linksy in feel as I expected. Not just because of the gorse, heather and willow scrub which threaten a few tee shots, but because there is quite a lot of clover in some of the fairways, and light rough left around some of the greens, which makes the chip and run or putter from off the green a risky shot. I have never hit so many lob wedges from around links greens.The greens themselves were true but very slow when I played, but I'll put that down to its being a Monday. The chipping green was lightning quick.The 12th here with a second shot played into a saddle of dunes hard against the beach is one of the best I've played. Apart from that, I found this a tough, fair and pretty course which is well worth the £50 green fee. A strong four stars from me, but I'd have liked yellow tees that didn't take all the fairway bunkers out of play, and more scope for classic links scrambling.

Date: July 04, 2015