Southport Golf Club had its origins in South Coast Recreations, a leisure complex that also included a cinema and a hotel, when that company developed a local dairy farm for recreational use in 1924.
A 9-hole course operated until 1948, at which point it was decided to purchase the site and create an 18-hole course. Club captain E. F. Doyle was instrumental in setting out the new course and he was granted life membership for his efforts.
Occupying a property that extends to 110 acres, the course at Southport is an easy walking track, with just a mild amount of undulation in the land as the tree-lined fairways weave their way around in two returning nines.
Highlight holes include the part threes at the 2nd and 14th (where ponds protect both greens), the double doglegging par five 8th (with water to the right and left of the putting surface), and the par four 17th, where yet another water hazard lurks to the left of an offset green.