Review for St Andrews (Castle)

In 2012 I first played The Castle Course and got a great impression of it, having played not bad and finding it tough to score. When with my friends we decided to go back, my good friend Gonzalo who turns to be the CEO of the group said this course was to be played. And the “official tour” started on May 28th at this course. We were all very excited and it was a St Andrews (Castle) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer great kick off for the trip, no rain, no cold, gentle breeze and 12 guys who have played golf together for the last 35 years with huge smiles in each of our faces. A nice touch from St Andrews Links to incentive play on the “other” courses was to give lunch to groups of 8 playing Castle or Jubilee, which we of course took advantage of. One of the nicest spots on this course is the views the Club House provides so some burgers and club sandwiches appeared before the birdies … sorry the bogeys!

I had a decent front 9 and an awful back 9, it looked like the long haul flight took my legs off (like Maradona in USA 1994).

The course is not only fun but challenge and shot making in every corner, you need to have distance control and imagination to play some of the holes. The greens are crazy? YES! Do I like them? A LOT, as this is an experience you don’t face every day just go there and play, at the end of the day the sensation of having played something unique will come to your mind.

St Andrews (Castle) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Some shots you face are simply unbelievable: second to par 4 6th hole downhill, tee shot on 7th, par 3 8th, second at 9th all of these with awesome views of the Sea. 12th continues to be my own nightmare, 14th is an amazing tee shot where choosing the correct line is the clue, par 5 15th is a great 3 shots hole and the grand finale 17-18 where the par 3 is an all or nothing shot and 18th gives you the chance of take an aggressive line according to the distance you are able to carry with your driver. In very good shape, some greens not at the best but an experience to repeat and to recommend. Don’t feel The Old Course is the only girl in town, take a chance at Castle and you will end your round happy even having scored more bogeys than usual!

Date: June 29, 2017

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Castle)