Review for St Andrews (Castle)

We played the Castle Course on a windy, but sunny, day in May. We'd read all of the 'horror' stories concerning the greens but had also spoken to people who'd previously played the course and had great things to say about it. One thing that did seem to be a common opinion among those golfers that had played the course was that scoring was hard, so nobody in our group was expecting to shoot to handicap.

We'd driven up from the Midlands that morning and this was to be our 1st round of 4 on this short trip North. The clubhouse is very welcoming and everyone very friendly. We enjoyed lunch and a bit of time on the range (free) before teeing off. The view of the 9/18 double green showed us what we'd have to contend with in a couple of hours! The only negative for me was the shop - there wasn't a great range of Castle Course logo clothing for sale.

A quick chat with the starter and we were underway. I managed to lose 2 balls over the 4 rounds and unfortunately my opening tee shot was one of them, as the wind took it way way left.

The course itself was very enjoyable, and whilst the greens were tough I don't think they were unplayable like others have said. In fact, with perhaps the 10th green being the exception, we didn't have too much trouble with the putter.

The views across the bay are fantastic and the course itself was in great condition.

I'd certainly love to play it again.

Date: May 30, 2019

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Castle)