Review for St Andrews (Eden)

If Eden is only ranked as the fifth course of the St Andrews links offering, I'm wondering how good the other courses will be. Since Eden was my first St Andrews experience, I can't comment on its St Andrews ranking. But being ranked only as the 15th venue of Fife sounds a bit on the low side to me.

I liked the course very much; it is a charming course, and pretty in its simplicity. The course starts with a gentle par 4 leading to the land in between the Eden Estuary and the Old Course, where the other holes are situated. The turf is superb, the greens a joy to play on, and the overall maintenance level is of a very high standard. While looking at the fully packed (and jammed) next door Old Course, we enjoyed a nice, calm round on an almost empty track.

I loved the two crossing par 3's: a perfect example that holes don't need to be long to be a challenge. I agree with earlier reviewers that the outward nine are of exceptional quality, but the second nine has plenty of good holes on offer too.

Next time I'll be tempted to pick one of the other courses at St Andrews to expand my St Andrews experience, but won't complain if Eden will be on the playing list as well.

OCB

Date: July 24, 2017

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Eden)