Review for St Andrews (Eden)

”Mickey Mouse” I almost hear you think as we tee it up on the 300-yard opening hole. Unless you pay attention your drive may find one of the gorse bushes. You, however, find the fairway after having gone with a 3-wood off the tee. The wedge you hit into the green, however, ends up on the wrong side of the ridge and a tricky two-putt later I can spot a grimace. Are you beginning to take this course seriously?

Most visitors opt for the big beasts (TOC-Kingsbarns-Carnoustie) or stay with the New, the Jubilee and the Castle without giving this (partly) Harry Colt-designed little jewel a second thought. Their loss is your gain!

I was no exception: it took me four visits to St Andrews to finally get to play the Eden. Having done that, my recommendation is clear: mix old/traditional (TOC, the New or the Jubilee) with new/modern (i.e. Kingsbarns or the Castle Course) and then add the Eden as your third course! You will enjoy the respite as much as the variety. If you play with your brain fully switched on, you might even score...

Date: March 19, 2019

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Eden)