Review for St Andrews (Eden)

Ive played the Eden a few times but after playing it on New Years day I felt compelled to write a review. The first 8 holes do not contain a single weak hole, and you might even say not even an average one. Holes 1 and 4 are the 'easy hole' antidotes to the diffucult 2nd & 3rd. The 5th & 8th are superb par 3's - the best in all of St Andrews links with the possible exception of the 11th on the Old. I have to say when I got to the turn I though "This is the best front 9 of all the St Andrews Links courses" and I would still defend this point of view although that might be slightly harsh on the Jubilee. The back 9 is more maligned but I thought it started really well with a tough par 3 and 3 excellent par 4s. That got us to the lake holes (14 & 15) and whilst I agree the feature is very un-St Andrews, I thought the two holes as stand alone holes were very good. 16 is a bit of a slog but 17 is the best hole on the course for me and the 18th is a nice gentle finish and a great birdie chance. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my round due to the incredible variety that the course offered. The condition was out of this world considering it had been shut for the previous 10 days and I think this round has shunted the course 10 or so places up my personal favourite golf courses.

Date: January 05, 2011

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Eden)