Review for St Andrews (Jubilee)

In my opinion this is the best actual 'course' in St Andrews. Dont get me wrong - I enjoy playing the Old more than the Jubilee just for the sheer history / experience factor, and I probably enjoy playing th New more than the Jubilee because it is slightly easier, but in terms of hole architecture, variety, challenge and views I think the Jubilee trumps its more famous neighbours by a considerable margin. Standout holes for me are the 2nd (a gorgeous gentle dogleg right with a fantastic kidney shaped green guarded by a quaint tree), the 8th (gorgeous short dogleg left in the basin of the dunes out by the sea) , the superb 15th which is the desingers favourite and has the green tucked behind a spectacular dune and the 16th which requires a great drive through the dunes before hitting to the most fun green in the whole of St Andrews due to its size and elevation changes. Whilst the Jubilee is pretty much as flat as the Old and the New, the routing through the dunes makes it much more interesting. It is also considerable harder in my opinion, although the back to back par 5's (11th & 12th) offer a chance to steady your score. The only slight negative comments are that the 1st and last are fairly nondescript holes that also come into pretty close contact with the Greenkeepers village although attempts have been made to obscure it from view as much as possible. I would also say that the greens, whilst excellent, didnt seem to be as fast as the New. So in summary - If you want history and spinetingling play the Old; if you want a gentle round on a effortlessly classy layout play the New but if you want to play the hardest course in the town which aslo happens to be the most interesting, play the Jubilee.

Date: November 16, 2010

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Jubilee)