Review for St Andrews (New)

I was lucky enough to play this course in mid December on a clear gusty afternoon. The winter green fees are £40 and are excellent value for money. There is no booking needed you simply report to the new course starter.

Due to is being in winter it was required to play of the matts when playing off the fairway. However, due to the tightness of the course I found ample opportunity to hit it out of somewhat forgiving rough. The course provides incredible scenery alongside the old course and the outlook over eden bay during the inter sun was second to none. In particular the 9th was my stand out hole. The 225 yard par three gave me the opportunity to launch my 2 iron onto quite a forgiving green. I would like to point out that on the winter tees the men and women play off the same tee for a lot of the course. I was playing with a 13 handicap woman and I would say she struggled with the length of the course. Often having to one put to make par and making the chance of making birdie incredibly hard.

Do not be put off by the winter greens. This course is in immaculate conditions with fast greens that blend into the fairway that would challenge the finest of courses in summer conditions. A few of the bunkers are currently GUR but this did not effect the course at all in my opinion. The ground itself is hard and remained true.

I would recommend that people play this course twice. Especially if you are like myself and playing as a visitor without a member. A lot of the holes really leave you guessing as to where the pin is (even with the course guide). The 10th in particularly really hides the pin with the course seamlessly blending into the natural undulations of the terrain and flora. A second time around might give you the chance to take more risks and let loose with the driver.

I have to say that the members of staff were incredibly welcoming throughout my visit and very helpful. It was a fantastic day out and not only enjoyed a great day of golf with family but got to enjoy views across the bay, town and other courses.

Date: December 24, 2019

Read all reviews about St Andrews (New)