Review for St Andrews (New)

After playing the Old and Castle courses the two previous days our last round was at the famed New course. I was again excited for my round and determined to do well having heard rumours that the New is a little easier than some of the other courses at St Andrews. I found the course to be just that and I scored well on the day. The New certainly gives you a chance and for me this is the most playable course at St Andrews.

The course condition as you'd expect was outstanding and with the sun blaring down we got to see the course at its finest. It is very flat barring a couple of holes but its the strategy and finer points that are the attraction. The New requires you to plot your routes and take care with the angle in which you approach the pins. The bunkers are placed expertly and almost always challenge every tee shot. The greens are firm and fast and were a pleasure to putt on.

Comparing it to the Old course (if thats at all fair) I found the fairways less undulating, with fewer odd bounces and hanging lies, and the greens although difficult were slightly easier to putt on. The bunkers were not as cavernous or quite as punishing and in general it lacked the exceptional touches that the old has.

The opening hole has a lovely setting with a large putting green and modern clubhouse beside it. Once away the course is another out and back with a couple of holes playing alongside an expanse of water. Holes 9 and 10 were the highlights. Hole 9 being a tough par 3 to a raised green and hole 10 a long blind tee shot to a sunken fairway between dunes. Two very pretty holes.

Barring those two there wasn't a great deal to shout about with most of the holes tough to remember. I think like many of the reviews you become a little under-awed and there are parts of the round where course is almost mundane. I enjoyed the round but I do have to echo that if it were not situated in St Andrews then i'm not sure it would feature in the Uk and Ireland top 100.

All in all the New course fell a little bit below expectation but I still had a great time. If I came again I wouldn't choose to play the New over the Castle or Jubilee but it is still good value for money and a good golf course overall. Just for me not an exceptional one.

Date: June 23, 2021

Read all reviews about St Andrews (New)