Review for St Andrews (New)

This is the second time I have played the new and despite both times having been in what you would call the 'shoulder season' (1st time was in March, 2nd time in late October), it has been the best condition of any course I have played all year.Lets get this out there straight away - if you are going for aesthetics or stunning views then you have come to the wrong place. What you are getting here is acourse that hasnt changed for over 100 years and is a throwback to golf course design in its infancy. Given that I can see why why some people say it is boring or the holes can be forgettable because in comparison to more modern courses or certainly American TV courses then it certainly has less 'glamour'. However, I feel it has an effortless class to it, there are no gimmick or tricked up holes although it does take until the 8th to get what I would call a truly world class hole ( a par 5 with the green situated thrugh two large dunes. The 9th is the hardest hole Ive ever played (a 231yd par 3 with OB down one side) and is probably as scenic as the course gets out by the estuary. There is another stunning par 3 (13th) o tha back 9 and the closing hole is pure class with the fantasitc Links Clubhouse behind it.In summary I think the plus points are the fantastic set of par 3's is has, the stunning condition any time of year and the gorgeous skyline of St Andrews always visible just to remind you that you are indeed at the home of golf. I can see why some people think certain holes can be flat and uninspiring but to be honest, glamour is not what golf in St Andrews is all about. If you dont get that then you may be underwhelmed. I wasnt!

Date: October 25, 2010

Read all reviews about St Andrews (New)