Review for St Andrews (Old)

I’m not sure us mere amateurs should review this course. But just to provide perspective I’ll try it.

The best course in the world? Certainly the most famous. And so the opening tee shot was one of the most nerve wracking of my golfing career. The widest fairway in golf. But I was delighted to find it. Some didn’t the day I played!!

After the first you are away from the spectating tourists and the town and into a challenging but scoreable links course. Lots of blind drives!! Generally

aim left! A good study of your course guide or a caddy is vital. Then it’s tight lies and the crazy lumps and bumps of St Andrews. Obviously the course is in great condition and it’s amazing to think about all the greats having negotiated these holes.

The highlights after the tee shot on the 1st are the 17th and 18th. 17th tee. Pick your letter on the Hotel sign and hit it true! Then avoid the Road hole bunker and it’s a basic 450 yard par 4!! It was fun.

18 is great. The worlds widest fairway remember!

All in all a great experience. I loved it. Mainly due to holes 1,17 and 18. But all of the course is enjoyable. A one off probably but something most golfers should try once!!

Date: October 01, 2020

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Old)