Review for St Andrews (Old)

After applying last September we got our allocated tee time for the Old course, the time ticked by slowly until 3:20 13 June 2008 and we marched off down the 1st fairway, you hear a voice saying ‘’they have all walked here’’ as you march towards where you managed to hit your drive (it is a nervy occasion). The starter gave us a tip ‘’left is right and right is wrong, apart from the loop’’ and how correct is that. Anyway after we all struggled to the 8th tee after somewhat feeling overwhelmed, rushed and saying to ourselves this course is not really anything special or anything of great beauty, it relies on tradition and rather large sloping greens. The 17th did create fun (3 balls into the hotel !) and the 18th was a joy to play with the town and clubhouse acting as a great backdrop. Anyway my view was that many of the holes (2, 3, 5, 6 + 7) are all very similar and almost unfair as you really cannot see where to hit it off the tee. Also have a look where the Pro’s tees are, as in most cases they are not far behind the yellows which means that most of the ‘famous’ bunkers are not even in play for them. Oh well we have been, seen and now done it, would I return – no, for me to many players on the course (with caddies) and it failed to live up to my expectations.

Date: June 15, 2008

Read all reviews about St Andrews (Old)