Review for St Annes Old Links

Played this course on a freezing cold new years day 2010. After the recent cold snap me and my mate were desperate to play a decent course that was open. I have to say that it was well worth the trip. We were really surprised to be able to play on the greens despite the obvious frost. Fairways were too hard to get a decent divot, but that didn't bother me as I was generally on the first or second cut of rough. Yes the views are mundane at times but that just makes you concentrate on the course. First 2 are bog standard par 4's. 3rd is a really quirky short par 3, with a green cocooned by houses. 9th is very special with it's boat shaped green. In fact the back 9 was all very enjoyable. Highlight of the day had to be when we both drove a 354 yard par 4. Admittedly this was Down wind and with really firm fairways but it wasn't that windy and still goes down in the long driving annals. Have given course 4 balls with 2 balls lost due to scenary, club-house, and slightly mundane first 9. Not in the same class as some of the other courses I have given 6 balls (Silloth, Saunton East, Fulford, Marriot St-Pierre, Leven Links, Moor Allerton (in summer) but well worth the green-fee and I would rate it at a similar level to Moortown. Shab.

Date: January 01, 2010