Review for St Clair

Played a couple of rounds just in the last week in cooler summer temps 15-18degs (than I'm used to in Central Otago this time of year)

Very enjoyable course and my favourite in Dunedin to date so much elevation a real workout add in the NW-NE wind which I had on both days esp. the second which ended maxing me out on the 17th hole(par4) where a pretty good drive ended up dragged into the forest of monster Oldman pines never to be found again..and the second behind another huge pine with several meter overhanging branches that put me in big trouble yet again .... St Clair needs plenty of respect when winds up.(which from its cliff top location would be often)

Yes the 15th brilliant hole, views spectacular most locations you stop be it the Vast Pacific Ocean or overlooking Dunedin and beaches you really feel you have been perched on top of a viewing platform.

Does have many similarities to Queenstowns "Kelvin Heights" where I was a member for many years, the age,style of Oldman pines breaking up many of the holes, elevation fairways, many fairway angles to deal with(many Dog legs -no see pin locations) etc.. but where I did walk and enjoy playing 18 at KH's week in week out(over 100 rounds played), I just don't think I would with "St Clair" well not without using a cart, but even then I just didn't go away with a great passion to play again and again like I did with say KH, or Invercargill's Oreti sands I do put that feeling down to carrying my bag and seeming like at time to be constantly walking up a hill or coming down and really becoming energy deplented in the wind.

A stunning windless day using a cart would certainly have been a better feeling at rest at the19th.

Date: December 30, 2017