Review for St Enodoc (Church)

We played St Enodoc on both Thurs. and Friday 15 & 16 Aug.This remains my favourite UK course.I cannot recommend it highly enough and this review could apply equally to my three previous visits.First off, St Enodoc is situated within one of Britain's most beautiful coastal locations. As a consequence the views are simply stunning. From every tee and every green you get an awesome view.Ahead of tackling the course there is a genuinely warm welcome, from both staff and club members, and efficient and great service.The food is great too, so I would hugely recommend arrival and hour or so ahead of your tee time to enjoy all aspects of the club.Unlike higher ranked links courses, such as Birkdale, there is not a "championship" feel - St Enodoc is wonderfully under-stated and the course itself says it all. There is so much on offer here it sits comfortably with any 'top' course and offers a great all round golf experience.Despite a hot, dry summer and (I am sure) plenty of visitors to the course, it was in great condition. The tees and the greens were all immaculate.It's a tough course. Wayward tee shots are ruthlessly punished and there are a number of blind tee and approach shots that, particularly for a first timer, add to the difficulty. Despite this the course can still be enjoyed by higher handicappers, not just low handicappers.No two holes are the same and all require some real thought - you can't get away with hit and how here.I understand why previous reviews say that the 10th, 11th, 12th are not striking, but they still offer those great reviews and a decent test.By comparison you couldn't 'enjoy' bunkers like the Himalaya anywhere else in England.I could go on, but you really need to experience it yourself to really get the beauty of this course. Ideally play two rounds as the first is fantastic, but it becomes even more enjoyable if you are familiar with the course.I can not believe that any golfing enthusiast could play here and not be really glad that they had.

Date: August 19, 2013

Read all reviews about St Enodoc (Church)