Review for St Enodoc (Church)

We played St Enodoc on a very special April day with the sun shining from a peerless blue sky and scarcely a puff of wind. The tide was out so you could see the Camel estuary in the middle distance stretching over to Padstow and glistening layers of golden sand.

I was reminded of the immortal words of John Betjeman after I struck my shot on the opening tee;

‘A glorious, sailing, bounding drive

That made me glad I was alive’.

Previous reviewers have written about every hole on the golf course so I won’t go into such detail. Sufficient to say, is there a more scenic place to play the game in the British Isles on such a beautiful day?

The golf course is unorthodox with a bewildering array of holes and the front nine is to my mind as good as it gets. There is then a lull around the famous Church, after which the course is named and where Poet Laureate Betjeman is buried. However it comes to life again over the last four holes, culminating in a quite magical finishing hole in front of the Clubhouse.

St Enodoc is rated in England’s Top Ten golf courses on this website and is in my view the best in the South-West narrowly ahead of the more orthodox East Course at Saunton. It is a magnificent venue at which to play the game and in perfect weather a tough and utterly thrilling challenge.

Date: April 21, 2021

Read all reviews about St Enodoc (Church)