Review for St Enodoc (Church)

I was really looking forward to playing here after reading the reviews and hearing what a great track it is. Played on a sunny and chilly day with not too much wind. The lunch before the round was excellent and the bar prices not expensive. Clubhouse facilities are good. Staff were very friendly. Practice facilities are very good but warm up balls are pricey for what they are and mine were quite dirty. Played on a sunny but chilly March day with a light breeze. Other reviewers use the words “quirky”, “charming” and “sporty” to describe holes in particular or the course in general so I was expecting something really interesting. The greens although recently aerated were super and by far and away the best part of the course. IMHO there are way too many blind tee shots and approaches. People seem overwhelmed by the views, I am sure they must seem special to some but I am fortunate enough to play on a course (Thurlestone) where you can see the sea from every hole with far better views . I was expecting a true links and sorry but I do not see that this is. Yes it is undulating with dunes(hills!) and sandy soil and yes it is by the sea but some of the holes are, as mentioned by another reviewer, quite agricultural and a couple had almost a moorland feel. The undulations and slopes are in places just too much of it and a good shot can be harshly punished, a lot of your score is I think going to be down to luck of the bounce. I do not believe that this is particularly tight or difficult as far as shotmaking goes. The much vaunted “Himalaya” bunker will only come in to play if you play the hole like a complete goon. I could not get fired up or interested at all here and after twelve holes was bored and just looking forward to finishing. It is definitely not intimidatingly tight as even then I could not come close to losing a ball and by that stage I could have cared less where I was hitting it. Playing wise this is not a patch on, for example, Saunton or Pyle and Kenfig. I would totally agree that you need to play this more than once to know where you are going but I won’t be bothering again. This is perhaps the most disappointed and underwhelmed that I have ever been by a golf course, just glad that the company was great and it did not rain. The quality of the greens and clubhouse facilities/catering are all that prevents this getting a double bogey rating.

Date: March 20, 2008

Read all reviews about St Enodoc (Church)