Review for St George's Hill (Red & Blue)

I'm not going to get into the debate about where in the rankings a course should appear nor indeed whether one course is better than another. This review is simply my views of the day a friend and I had at St Georges Hill last Thur (2/11) playing the Green course in the morning followed by Blue/Red in the afternoon (yes, we started from the 10th). On arrival at the stunning club house that, on entry, has the feel of a really comfy pair of old slippers, we were met by Geoff the Starter who explained the format of the day, timings, etc in a very friendly, helpful way. After a great bacon sandwich (£2.20) and a FREE coffee we headed to the 1st on the Green course, not expecting too much as we knew this was the 'lesser' 9 holes. However, it was a great morning warm-up and certainly set the tone for the day. After an excellent lunch, Geoff advised we start from the 10th as a few 4-balls had just started from the 1st, and a bit sneakily we played the course from the back tees (apart from 1st and 10th!!). The course is wonderfully laid-out and follows the natural contours superbly, and makes great usage of the surrounding woodland and areas of heather. I felt that all of the holes were a great test, well bunkered and with excellent greens that had many subtle and not-so-subtle borrows! Bearing in mind the time of year and the amount of rain that we have experienced recently the course was in great condition. To sum up St Georges Hill, we paid £70 for the day (beat that Wentworth, a day there will cost you hundreds of pounds for 36 holes), we were treated with warmth and friendliness by the staff and members, we had a great day on a superb 27 holes and would play there again tomorrow if I could. An excellent day that did not feel like we were being 'milked' for every penny, and yet provided wonderful golf on a great golf course. Go there and try it for yourself, you won't be dissappointed!!

Date: November 06, 2006

Read all reviews about St George's Hill (Red & Blue)