Review for St Pierre (Old)

Expectations were pretty low when I played the Old course for the first time last autumn. I’m not a big fan of resort courses, especially those branded by Marriott, but I have to say that I liked the course and the St Pierre experience much more than I thought I would. The course itself was in good shape with true greens and tidy tee boxes and the Old reminded me a tad of the Arden course at the sister Marriott, Forest of Arden. The main difference here at St Pierre is that the elevation changes make St Pierre more interesting than the Arden but in all honesty there is little to choose between the two venues from a quality perspective. Both are just about capable of hosting a modern tournament (7,000 + yards) and both have the infrastructure to deal with such an event. I particularly liked the par threes at St Pierre and the closing hole on the Old has a great deal in common with the Arden’s finale but the Arden’s 18th is a fraction more dramatic. There are some amazing credit crunching deals to be had a St Pierre and if you shop around you could pay in dry roasted peanuts for 18 cracking value holes. No wonder the car park was full and the clubhouse bursting at the seams when I visited.

Date: January 05, 2010

Read all reviews about St Pierre (Old)