Formed in 1899, St Thomas is one of the oldest golf clubs in Canada, originally known as St Thomas Pinafore Park Golf Club. Members moved from the site of their original 9-hole course in 1908 when a racetrack was laid out within the same estate by the city council and, in the process of decamping to a new venue, a name change to Elgin Golf and Country Club occurred.
A further move took place in the early 1920s with the club purchasing Whaley Farm for the purpose of establishing a full 18-hole course. Known this time as St Thomas Golf and Country Club, the club engaged Stanley Thompson to construct a course that was completed and in use by 1927.
An additional parcel of land was acquired to the west of this course in 1970, allowing the layout to be lengthened from a modest 5,972 yards to a more accommodating 6,779 yards, increasing the par from 70 to 72. Interestingly, C.E. “Robbie” Robinson (who was Stanley Thompson’s construction foreman in the 1930s) designed the expansion that saw five holes replaced.
Doug Carrick renovated the course between 1995 and 2000 when measures were taken – including the removal of a number of trees that were installed in previous tree planting programs – to restore and enhance many of the old Thompson design features.
The modern St Thomas course is known to locals as “Union”, this name refers to the small village that lies to the east of the course.