Review for Stanwich

It was a long time debt to my friend Alberto Agrest, Club Champion in 2013, to finally get my feet on the plane and go to play his home course in Greenwich CT. He had many times told me about it's toughness, great condition and very fast greens (when I say fast, I am saying FAST!). It is a great Club just 5 miles away from his home where I was staying and it is a easy and quick ride from downtown Greenwich. Stanwich Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

I arrived early and as usual when visiting this private courses a nice and deep walk inside the Club House watching Champions Boards, the different rooms and before play a nice lunch in the Terrace which will be torn out and rebuilt 8 feet higher to be able to see the course and the water from there.

The round was a very nice walk with my friend Alberto (who beat me 2&1) and another member and with our caddie Dennis who caddied Alberto when he was Club Champion back in 2013. It was funny because he nicknamed Alberto calling him "Messi". It isfair to say Alberto has maybe the best amateur swing in golf I have ever seen.

Stanwich Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

The course is mantained in pristine shape, every blade of grass was perfect and the beginning of the Fall showed some great colors on all the trees of the course. And the greens ... well you have to play here to see what real fast greens are, we had played Winged Foot East the day before and these were a lot faster (but not as tough to read and play as WF) and the grain being against sometimes which didn't slower the putts.

Regarding the holes and design, if you remember the holes one week after playing them is because they are really good. Short Par 4 1st is a strong dogleg to the left with the green breaking severely from left to right which makes it a tough approach shot. Par 3 4th holes is maybe the toughest of the par 3s and the green is lightning fast from back to front: there Alberto holed a bunker shot from the left aiming it to the end of the green, the ball kept still a short while and then sloped down 8mts to end inside the hole. Par 5 5th is in my opinion the best hole on the course with a flat tee shot and an upright dogleg right second where only very long hitters will get home in 2 shots. Par 4 10th downhill and dog leg left is another one of the nicest, while 12th is a very tough par 4. 13th might be considered the signature hole, a 175yds par 3 over the water where when trees turn red in autumn you will have the nicest picture on the course. 14th is said to be a week hole as the tee shot might be unfair sometimes but I liked the risk/reward ecuation.

All in one it is a great course, a very nice experience and a very nice piece of land and if you add this quality of grass, the speed of the greens and the great caddies it is a great round of golf that you play.

Date: October 13, 2016