Review for Stewart Creek

I played Stewart Creek Golf Club on a sunny day in June 2010, having played Silver Tip, Banff Springs and Kananaskis prior to this I was expecting big things and I am pleased to say it didn’t disappoint. Quite simply this is a stunning golf course, the conditioning of the course was superb from the tee boxes to the fairways to the greens. Its setting is quite breathtaking with panoramic views of the mountains and the town of Canmore. It is a challenge to play from the tips with many long Par 4’s and at times it can play very tight indeed off the tee. I was the first group out on the day I played which was great in some ways, although it seemed the greenstaff were following me round as the hum of the lawnmowers were present on every hole which was slightly annoying but hey they’re only doing their jobs! This course is not cheap at $179 (membership here is $5,000 a year with a $50,000 joining fee……expensive!! And they only play 4 months a year due to the snow..!) but it was worth every cent. The course reminded me in some ways of Woburn purely from some of the treelined holes and the shape of certain holes, the conditioning was certainly on a par with Woburn. The 9th is a very interesting hole, it is a short par 4 which needs a drive over a ravine onto what can only be described as a fairway platform, reason being the fairway disappears off a huge cliff with the green seemingly a hundred feet below you with water to the left. It is a quirky hole which I wasn’t overly keen on to be honest, mainly as it seemed completely out of place with the rest of the course, and I am never keen on holes with blind shots to the green. Having said that there are more than enough great holes on this course to make up for it, the 18th was my favourite which was a downhill Par 4 allowing you to really open your shoulders up off the tee, your 2nd shot is also downhill into a green with water to the left, it was a great hole to end the round with. As with all the other courses I played while in Canada the practice facilities were excellent with complimentary range balls hit off turf rather than a mat. I really think more UK courses should take a lesson from this. I would also add you wouldn’t want to walk this course, as with Silver Tip it is a course where a buggy is pretty much compulsory due to the elevation changes and the long distances between tees. Overall a very impressive course that should be on everyone’s itinerary that comes to Canada.

Date: July 02, 2010