Review for Stonecutters Ridge

This is the first time that I have played a Greg Norman course and what a disappointment; I presume his brief was to design a course that was highly playable for medium to high handicappers. The result is a track which I found absolutely boring. The par fives and fours have huge wide fairways and the rough is non existant. The only difficulty are the bunkers which are large and deep but presumably wrongly positioned as I was only in 2 and they were on the par 3’s. I am writing this immediately after playing and I cannot remember many of the holes, bland, straightforward and without interest but i refer to the par fours and fives. On the other hand, 2 of the par 3’s were ridiculously difficult with greens above the tee and no view of the green plus cavernous bunkers all over the place, mostly quite unnecessary. The 16th and 17th are both par 3’s but perefectly reasonable fair holes.

I played on a Sunday behind a competition and it took 5 hours and twenty minutes to get round, and i was told that this was normal and even on normal rounds 4 hours was acceptable. There are distance indicators on the sprinklers but no 150 and 100 metre posts, a pity as this would help to speed things up as you have to go right up to the sprinkler to read the distance. There are no hole layouts at the tee, so you are firing into the unknown, though the fairways are so wide that this is not a problem : just blast away with your driver.

The course is surrounded by some very large but very uninspiring houses, presumably the real estate sales helped pay for the course. Not my cup of tea. The course is in good condition but the greens were rather hacked up after a competition in the morning. This course is rated far too highly. David Laird Jan 2018

Date: January 28, 2018