Strathaven - Lanarkshire - Scotland

• +44 (0)1357 520421

• Iain Neil

• Willie Fernie, John R. Stutt

• Stuart Kerr

Organised golf was first played at Strathaven in 1897 when locals played over a 9-hole course at Brownmuir Farm. Ten years later, Strathaven Golf Club was formed when land at West Overton Farm became available and a new 9-hole course was designed by Willie Fernie, the 1883 Open Champion from Troon.

In the early 1960s, the club purchased an adjacent farm named West Coldstream and an additional nine holes were designed and constructed by John R. Stutt. Many young trees were planted at this time and they have now matured after more than forty years of growth, allowing Strathaven Golf Club to claim to be one of the best parkland tracks in the West of Scotland.

The course has an overall yardage of 6,306 yards with a par of 71. It provides a challenge to golfers of all handicaps or none – low scores will only be made here at Strathaven if skill and judgement are used on the tree-lined holes. If par eludes the golfer and it’s not a day for low figures on the scorecard then the peaceful setting and sensational views of the surrounding Kype Hills will go someway to compensate for this.

There are some wonderfully named holes on the course: “Whaup’s Nest”, “Kype’s Rig” and “Kittle Neuk” to name only three. A further three holes are picked out for closer consideration: “The Sheugh” is the 343-yard, par four, 5th and a tough, right doglegged hole. A brave tee shot played to the left of two bunkers on the right of the fairway will allow a direct shot to the green. A stream to the front and bunkers at the left and the back protects the putting surface.

The 11th hole – “Nutberry” – is the first of four straight par fours on the back nine. It plays as a slight dogleg to the left and a precise tee shot is required to allow a reasonable approach shot to the green. A well-placed bunker thirty yards short left of the putting surface will catch pulled second shots. The final hole, the 408-yard, par four “Spinney” is a great finishing hole. It doglegs left and the safe tee shot is down the right of the fairway, avoiding the spinney on the left. The second shot is played to the largest putting surface on the course. Two large bunkers protect the front left and right of this green.

Reviews for Strathaven

Description: Low scores will only be made here at Strathaven Golf Club if skill and judgement are used on the tree-lined holes. Rating: 4 out of 6 Reviews: 3

It was a sunny, autumnal morning when we rolled up at Strathaven to be warmly greeted in the car park by one of the members. Recognising that we were visitors, Strathaven Golf Course - Photo by reivewerhe wished us a good game and his parting shot was “the course is in great condition, you will love it”. He wasn’t wrong. The cordiality was continued by the young assistant Pro who, very kindly, put us out before a couple of fourballs to allow us a swift getaway. As we made our way to the first tee I was struck by the conditioning of the practice putting green - it was immaculate - and I commented to my playing partner that if the real greens were as good as this then we were in for a treat. The 1st hole is a tree-lined dogleg par four, culminating at a slightly raised green. As I suspected, the putting surface was pristine, a theme that continued for the remainder of the round. The second is a testing long par three - again, slightly raised - and guarded by two bunkers The 3rd is a another tree-lined affair and you start to realise that the trees are a major factor at Strathaven, acting not only as a deterrent for wayward shots but also to frame fairways and offer shelter and seclusion from other holes. The 4th, a short par four and the 8th, a par five, are both protected by ditches and these were the pick of the outward half for me, thoughStrathaven Golf Course - Photo by reviewer I wouldn’t class any of the holes as weak. The back nine shows no let-up in quality with the stretch of holes between 12- 14 and 16-18 being the stand outs. Like other reviewers I have to single out the lovely 13th as the best hole on the course; the second shot over the burn enough to test anyone’s ability and nerve. I also saw something a couple of holes later that I’d never encountered before: the pole on the par three 15th flag stick doubles as a ruler for measuring distances from the hole in nearest the pin competitions – a nice touch. To book end my Strathaven member story from pre round ,I also have one post round. A friendly lady member asked us if we had enjoyed our day, which, of course, we had. She urged us to take advantage of the two course lunch deal. Again, like everything else that we had encountered during the day, we were impressed. I love my nomadic golfing lifestyle as I get to play different courses and meet nice people and if I ever have to stop travelling and join a club to play most weeks I would like it to have a course like Strathaven, which is challenging but not overly punishing, immaculate in presentation and with friendly and accommodating members and staff. MPPJ
October 01, 2013

Dr J Taylor Hill
November 15, 2015
Strathaven is firmly amongst the ranks of the toughest courses for girls and ladies anywhere in Scotland. It is officially rated 25th most difficult course from the ladies tees.
I thoroughly enjoyed my round here when I competed in the club’s annual Gents Open the other day. The front nine holes are nicely routed, skirting the perimeter of the property, whilst the longer, more difficult back nine holes are more tightly packed together, with several fairways running adjacent to one another - not that it ever feels cramped, which is testament to the great job done to maximize the use of the available land. Strathaven Golf Course - Photo by reviewerThe three par threes on the front nine didn’t exactly enthral me (especially as two of them play in excess of 200 yards from the medal tees) so the 15th (“Kittle Neuk”) was, for me, the best of the short holes on the card; visually intimidating from the tee with a tricky two-tier green surrounded by several sand traps. On the outward half, holes 5 and 6 were two excellent short, right doglegged par fours which are, unfortunately, followed by “Coldstream,” a rather uninspiring par four that plays to a tiny raised green in the northwest corner of the course. On the inward half, the short par four 13th (“Oaks”) is another bonny hole - guarded by a lone oak tree to the right of the fairway and a burn in front of the green - and it was probably my favourite hole on the course. I understand the putting surface for the 17th hole has recently been moved back 50 yards and this contributes in no small way to the degree of difficulty presented by the closing trio of par fours. Holes 16 and 18 play downhill but into the prevailing wind, whilst 17 is uphill all the way - golfers will do very well to negotiate this stalwart set of finishing holes in level fours. Yes, Strathaven’s well worth a visit and I’m only surprised there haven’t been more reviews for it. Jim McCann.
August 20, 2013

Played at Strathaven on a beautiful late autumn day and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. After a humdrum opening that includes, unusually, two par threes in the first four holes the course presents its first interesting challenge at the quirky 5th with a green well protected both by a burn and shrubbery. The good uphill dog-leg 6th is followed by the mediocre 7th at the far end of the course. The tall trees lining both sides of the fairway at the following section of the course are attractive and reminded me a lot of Alyth. Fine holes include 8, 10, 11 and 13 with trees and water a feature. The best holes in the closing stretch are the downhill 16th and 18th both of which finish in front of the impressive clubhouse. Strathaven has some weak holes, notably 7, 9 and 17. It also lacks a standout par 3. However there are several fine long holes and the overall experience is positive. Is Strathaven the second-best course in Lanarkshire? It certainly has a case!
November 26, 2011