Streamsong (Red) - Florida - USA

Streamsong Resort,
1000 Dunes Pass,
Streamsong,
Florida (FL) 33834,

The Streamsong Resort lies an hour’s drive south east of Tampa, within the confines of an old phosphate strip mine that was once operated by the Mosaic Corporation, and its three courses occupy a somewhat surreal landscape that's dotted with lakes and piles of spoil reaching almost 100 feet into the air.

When Mosaic decided to effectively return the Polk County site to the community, it seemed like a good idea to not just tidy up the property, but to put it to good commercial use by establishing an upmarket golf resort in the same vein as Bandon Dunes in Oregon.

And so the modern architectural “dream team” of Tom Doak, Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw was given the opportunity at Streamsong to reproduce some of the golfing know how that had previously been used to fashion 54 of the 72 holes at the Bandon site.

The two 18-hole courses were built around the same time, after both sets of architects had agreed on their respective routings, with Coore and Crenshaw responsible for the Red and Tom Doak’s Renaissance Golf Design Company delivering the Blue.

Both courses offer wide fairways and few forced carries, though the Red – which is routed more around the periphery of the property – is a little tighter than its sibling with more water hazards coming in play.

Remarkably, it’s said that the short par four 9th on the Red is actually Tom Doak’s favourite hole on either the Red or the Blue course. Measuring just 321 yards from the back tees, this little gem features one of the most interestingly contoured greens at the resort.

In 2017, three years after the Red and Blue courses opened for play, Gil Hanse and Jim Wagner's Black course brought the number of holes in play at Streamsong to fifty-four. Set out on an open, expansive tract next to the existing two courses, the Black more than holds its own within this wonderful Floridian golf complex.

Reviews for Streamsong (Red)

Description: Remarkably, it’s said that the short par four 9th on the Red course is actually Tom Doak’s favourite golf hole on either the Red or the Blue course at the Streamsong Resort. Rating: 8.2 out of 10 Reviews: 18
Peter Wood

The Red Course was designed by Coore Crenshaw- one of the outstanding golf architectural firms in the world. I love their courses! And at Streamsong they had a perfect canvass to create something special, with sand dunes and water aplenty.

I thought the front nine holes were very interesting with a combination of long par 4's I just could not reach in regulation (hole 1), water carries on 5 tee shots, a really fascinating short par 4 (hole 9) with a very tricky green, some picture postcard par 3's, and pretty interesting green complexes.

It was a delight to play, but very challenging! I am usually a straight hitter but here I hit the fairway bunkers a number of times.

We thought that perhaps the front nine was too tight off the tee- with water, and rough to negotiate and a lot of bunker 'fingers' reaching into the landing areas. If it were a little more lenient off the tee I think it would be regarded as a very good nine holes...

But the back nine on the Red Course had a totally different feel.It is BIG- long and wide. Forward tees may make the greens reachable, but not more interesting because the fairways are HUGE - and quite the opposite of the front nine.

Notable holes include:

- hole 1, a long, strong attractive par 4 opening hole
- hole 3, a ripping par 4 with water and dunes dominating the view off the tee
- hole 4, a delightful short par 4
- hole 7, a par 5 with water in play down the left
- hole 17, a dramatic par 3 over water

Streamsong Red is a tale of two nines- a world class front nine through dramatic dunes and water- and a longer, wider back nine that fails to engage to the same level

Peter Wood is the founder of The Travelling Golfer – click the link to read his full review.

August 29, 2020

Mark White

Streamsong Red is the course where I think you need a caddie the most at Streamsong unless you know the course really well. The reason for the caddie isn't to read the greens, it is more to understand what Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw are trying to hide behind the numerous mounds and disguises they put on the course. There is a fair amount of misdirection on this course, which is weird since Coore/Crenshaw have made a reputation as being minimalists and not wanting to have courses that are contrived. I have now played the course four times.

I slightly favor the Blue course built by Tom Doak. Most players favor the Red course. I have yet to meet anyone who favors the Black course. It is not something I argue much about.

The course is a par 72, with the Green tees being 7148 yards, rated 74.2/130. The Black tees are 6584 rated 71.7/125. The Silver tees are 6094 rated 69.4/119 while the Gold tees are 5184 rated 70.0/122. I have only played the black tees.

The are many holes I like on the golf course, perhaps more here than I like even on the Blue course. The course has one of the best three starting holes I have played. I consider 15 to be the best hole on the golf course followed by 12, 5 and 7. I also think holes 1-3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 16 and 17 are above average. That makes 13 out of 18 holes that I like which is remarkable. I think 18 is a very poor finishing hole. The course has a few holes that feel average to me such as 6, 9, and 14.

The reason I favor the Blue over the Red is I think the Blue is more consistent and builds to a better finish while the Red starts very well, then goes up and down before another good stretch from 15-17. However, I think 18 is a bad hole to finish on given the high regard I have for the rest of the golf course. It reminds me a bit of Friars Head where I also do not like the eighteenth.

1- par 4 474/464. A terrific long par 4 with an excellent green. The bunkering is superb for the entirety of the hole. The green site is wonderfully placed near the crest of the hill with a sloped green back to front and to the left. From an elevated tee you hit down the valley but then the green is above you making the approach shot play a bit longer. However, a lower approach shot will run onto the green. It plays as a dogleg right due to the location of the tees. There are bunkers left and right with two bunkers on the left pinching into the fairway. The green is nearly surrounded by sand, some of which are the five bunkers. My friends think it is the best hole on the golf course which is not something you actually want.

2 par 5 555/508 - a par 5 with the tee shot playing as a dogleg right requiring a fairly long carry over water with the tee shot. The water continues up the right side and a ball with too much hook in it could find the pond fronting the fairway or the long bunker placed on the left side for the longer hitters. This bunker on the left continues nearly to the green which is set off to the right against the hill. A player needs to know the mound next to the water on the right is hiding the fact that the water pinches in more than parallel on the second shot. On my most recent round, I went in the water on my second shot, but fortunately I hit my next to a foot to save par. There is plenty of room to hit left with your second shot but the mound on the right suggests there is plenty of room to the right. I liked the hole. The green is the easiest part of the hole.

3 – par 4 404/391. From an elevated tee this sharp dogleg right requires an exacting drive. Those trying to cut the dogleg could find one of many bunkers that go down the entirety of the right side finishing with one on the right side of the green. There is a bunker and more sand to the right. The really “evil” bunker is the small pot-like bunker fronting the green about 5 yards short. The green is a bit too tilted left to right. If you miss slightly to the left of the green, you will likely have to make a long putt to save par. I like the hole because the trees and bushes to the right and the setting of the green in a natural hollow.

4 – par 4 330/312 – This a short par 4 with a vertical, long fairway bunker in the middle. For whatever reason I do not favor this cross bunker which angles a bit to make it both long and wide. Longer hitters can fly this bunker so perhaps it would be better placed to start another ten yards closer to the green. For average length players I think a straight tee shot should be rewarded, not penalized. The wind held up my tee shot so I missed clearing the middle fairway bunker by less than a yard. There is plenty of room to either side of the bunkers in the middle so Coore/Crenshaw do provide reasonable options although the left side has a bunker pretty far up that many players likely will not consider. Off to the right is a long sandy area which I have generally found not to be overly punitive. Simply put, for the average length hitter, do not go into the cross bunker. The green has a big false front but overall is fair. It is wide but very narrow with sand and scrub very close to the rear of the green.

5 - par 4 453/344- A difficult driving hole as there is water down the entirely of the right side of the fairway. It plays as a gentle dogleg right with a mound to the left of the green where you cannot tell how close the mound is to the green unless you know the hole. There are two bunkers right and two behind the green to provide salvation from the pond and a chance at recovery. A caddie is very helpful on this hole.

6 – par 3 185/143. A short par 3 except from the back tee, water on the right and large hills to the left but neither really should be in play. There is a large bunker right with two small ones behind the green and a single, thin bunker on the left. I found this hole to be pretty, but average.

7 – par 5 527/521 – Tom Doak highlights this hole in his Confidential Guide to winter destinations. It is a short par 5 with a lake down the entire left side and scattered bunkers everywhere on the right and left. A large bunker creeps into the fairway about 100 yards short of the green. There are four bunkers on the left between the green and the lake. Mr. Doak highlights a seven feet mound at the center of the green as really wonderful in that it is left over from the mining days. But he also highlights that a pin behind it is nearly impossible to get close to if one is coming straight at it. On my last visit, the pin was right behind the mound. Mr. Doak is right, you can’t get close to it. The only possible way to get close to it is to have your second (or third) be off to the right of the green to provide an angle to a pin as the green runs away from the player. It is a large green so a player must know which side to come into it. Simply put, except in competitions they should not put the pin 8 feet behind that mound. Pars were made by all of us by a one putt, one of which was 30 feet long. Is that what is desired?

8 – par 3 247/119. A short par 3 surrounded by bunkers. I feel the holes lacks interest. This is the hole I have the most trouble remembering from previous rounds. After one plays it, there is a food and drinks stand.

9 – par 4 312/271. Another short par 4 with another mound on the edge of a fairway bunker hiding that the bunker continues on the other side of it. I thought I hit a good drive but it was in the bunker behind the mound. Again, a caddie would help or knowledge of the hole. Its an okay green with three bunkers at the front. It is an okay hole.

10 – par 4 486/431. This is a longish par 4 with sand down the entire right and trees and sand down the left. There are no bunkers around the green. I thought the hole was good with a good, undulating green. This is one of the better holes on this course.

11 – par 4 434/408. Three cross bunkers make this a difficult driving hole. Bigger hitters will fly all three bunkers. This is followed by a bunker front middle to a green that felt small to me for the length of the hole. I feel the green is a bit weird and could be reshaped.

12 – par 4 500/472. This is probably the most difficult hole on the golf course as a long par 4 dogleg left to a somewhat crowned green. Playing against the wind, it played over 500 yards for us. I had a double bogey here due to a bad tee shot left that required a pitch out, but I still liked the hole despite my score. Bunkers are scattered down the left side of the fairway for those trying to shorten the hole. At the green there are scattered, narrow bunkers on the right of the green. As mentioned, it is one of my favorite holes on the course.

13 – par 5 535/508. A shorter par 5 but once again with a bunker in the middle of the fairway and what looked to a man-made mound by the side of the green. The mounding is starting to be repetitive. Opposite the center-line bunker are long bunkers flanking either side of the fairway. The fairway goes to the right with a green sited next to another pond. The green is fronted by bunkers on the left and at the rear. I like the hole due to the movement required of the shots to the green.

14 – par 3 181/166. This hole seems to be a longer version of six although the bunkering is different with four bunkers set off on all sides. It is an okay hole.

15 – par 4 474/453. a long par 4 with a good green. This plays as a dogleg left with a large bunker left and a small one on the right. There are two bunkers about 20 yards short of the green. Another bunker eats into the left side of a narrow green with a fall-off on the right. From the tee shot to the green this is an excellent hole, perhaps not as visually as exciting as some earlier holes, but a real test of golf.

16 – par 3 208/184. From an elevated tee this is a long par 3 over water but the green funnels balls towards the middle (if you hit the green). This is a very pretty hole and a fine par 3. With the wind in our faces, it played almost two clubs longer.

17 - par 4 403/384. A ridge is down the left side of the fairway which hides a view of the green and the left greenside bunker. A caddie would tell you to hit down the right side despite the sand off to the right. There is a bunker creeping into the fairway on the left for the longer hitters. There are scattered bunkers near the green which is long. The ridge seemed manufactured to me. The green was fair but I think the ridge was a bit too much making the hole feel more contrived than natural, but perhaps it was there.

18 – par 5 540/505. One of the worst finishing holes I have ever played for the excellence of the rest of the course. This par 5 that is too short. There is a lot of sand down the left side but one can easily play away from it. The longer hitters in my first visit had eight irons into the green. There are two bunkers at the rear of this tilted green. I don't know what Coore/Crenshaw were thinking to have ended a good course with a horrible golf hole. Whenever I finish the round, I instantly want to forget this hole.

When I first played the Red course in 2012 I liked it more than the Blue. But after a second visit it has fallen below the Blue due to the contrived nature of some of the mounds, ridges and greens making it feel weird in spots. I would play this round with a caddie due to some of the obstacles. I didn't enjoy the Red quite as much on the second visit whereas at Bandon Dunes I enjoy all of the courses every time I play them. I do not think it is in the same league as Bandon Trails but the Trails course is blessed with much better land and natural beauty. However, I want to emphasize that this is a very good golf course and the resort is excellent, even if it is pricey in season.

July 22, 2020

M J Smyth

Coore Crenshaw or Crenshaw Coore? More on that later but no better way to end a week at the PGA Merchandise show then a tee time at Streamsong right…this year it was the Red course.

We were the first 4ball off at dew sweeping o'clock and the opening hole wasn’t that much of a gentle opener off the back of a long drive from Orlando. Uphill all the way, the mist was still rising and our caddie’s smoke made way for a hit n hope approach. I found my ball long then hit it all the way back down the hill. Snowman!

Second allows for an early round risk n reward over water and a straight forward approach to a long, like real long, green. Two putt birdie and I was back in the game!

Three and Four are short, strategic par 4s – go left wing on both off the tee for best angle of approach before the fifth which has water running all up the right wing. I played away from the water with a low captain hook which resulted in an approach over a large mound protecting the front left of the green. Well thought out design & be mindful of a hidden bunker long here.

The elevated tee on the par 5 seventh hole is worth a team picture as it offers up a great vista of the red and some of the blue courses. If you play one hole off the tips on the red make sure its this one!

Well-guarded fairway with water up the left and well placed bunkers both sides but find the short stuff and you can get close in two. Avoid getting tangled up in the mound front right of the green and it offers up a good chance for birdie.

Par three eighth has a great false front green and then a run off back third – the greens on this course are just the BEST! I have never been happier three putting…..

The start of the back nine is a good test. We had the wind on the kisser for the first couple of holes with a large fairway bunker splitting the fairway on eleven needing to be avoided.

Twelve turns for the clubhouse and what a strong sweeping R to L par four with crocodiles and OB all down the left side before the shoulder opening par five thirteenth. Another mould protecting the front left of this green so distance control key to (third shot) approach.

Par three fourteen has a large green to hit, miss it and you will do well to make par, miss it long and you will do well to make four given the run off ala Donald Ross.

Stroke 1 fifteen has a bunker eating into the left half of the fairway that must be avoided at all costs. I found it and might was well have taken a bucket & spade given the amount of time I spent in there. Tight approach to uphill slopping green from back to front.

The run-in peaks at the picture postcard par three sixteen over water to a green sandwiched between a large raised piece of wasteland and severe run-off left of the green. It’s one thing hitting this green and another making three with its back to front split level green. Seventeen asks for placement off the tee amongst a lot of sand whilst eighteen was a real three shot par five for our group on the day.

Streamsong is a well-oiled machine from the bag drop on arrival through the welcome on the first tee and service on what was excellent post round food and beverages.

Our caddie for the day kept us at a good pace and was entertaining, playing off a five handicap he had plans to play the European Challenge tour this season. Go figure!

For two architects with a strong association to the lone star state I will give this red track five stars or better still six TP5Xs on my review score.

Its Coore Crenshaw by the way and as well as this course is rooted these could well be the best greens I have ever set spikes on.

If you get a chance go play it!

March 17, 2020

Simon Bale

I’ve just returned to visit the Red course at Streamsong after 6 years, and boy is it as good as I remembered. I have played the Black and the Blue since and I can say this is firmly my favourite of the three. I also took 3 experienced course reviewers with me this time and all of us were in agreement that playing here is a wonderful and unique experience. The way the land has formed from an unused phosphorus mine creates a truly unique surrounding, with dunes, lakes and abundant foliage which is a stark contrast to all other Floridian courses.

We chose to play off of the tips, which is only really ideal for golfers who can hit the ball over 250 yards through the air, and even then it’s difficult. The length made it really challenging and demands every shot is struck solidly, so unless you are very consistent it’s wise to play the combination tees from the card.

The most striking feature of this venue for me is the quality of the routing. Not only because each holes flows perfectly from green to next tee, also because of the frequently changing direction of the holes, and elevation variances in the sequencing. We played match play, 4bbb, which was an ideal format, as there are as many opportunities for birdies as double bogies, it really does present a theatre for excitement and fun. That’s not to say one couldn’t post a low gross score here, but it would take highly accomplished players to do so.

The course certainly isn’t tricked up and even the water features that are in play are easily avoided, unlike many other Floridan courses. You almost feel like the designers want to reward good golf and avoid card wrecker holes. I hope to return here many times as I can’t imagine you’d ever tire of the amazing architecture and incredible land mass that is Streamsong. Anyone travelling from a long distance would be wise to consider an overnight stay onsite, in the extremely classy yet understated golf hotel on site. I honestly can’t speak highly enough of this venue and I firmly believe a place in the World 100 must be in the foreseeable future.

March 10, 2020

Hendrik

I spent 3 days at Streamsong a few years ago when only the Red and Blue were open, and the hotel had just opened. We stayed in Lakeland, about a 45 minute drive away. It's an easy drive but adds to the journey of course so next time I will surely stay on site.

The clubhouse and driving range are excellent but the two courses are something else. They are just awesome. I couldn't pick a favourite at all and enjoyed both tremendously. The terrain being a former potash (?) mine is otherworldly. This is not Florida golf like you might expect with manicured fairways. It's more of an inland links experience with miles and miles of uninterrupted vista. There's just nothing there and that makes it great in my book. It truly is an escape from the every day.

We played as a two ball and took a caddy between us. It's not a must and next time I wouldn't take a caddy as I've come to enjoy exploring courses on my own. The caddies were perfectly fine, some more rough and tumble than others but again, I'm not a fan of using caddies. Just too much small talk.

The two courses are big courses with some forced carries. Pick your tees wisely but the fairways are quite wide and you can even run up the ball to the green. I don't think these are 'hard' golf courses (like Valderrama) but I do think they are very enjoyable. It's a fun ride.

I will for sure go back to play the Black course and revisit the other two. This is easily a place for 2 nights/3 days and within easy reach of Orlando. It's an experience that I would highly recommend to the golf enthusiast.

October 02, 2019

Thomas de Oliveira

I was very pleasently surprised by my recent trip here. I visited on a trip with some friends from the UK and found the course to be unlike anything I'd played back home (maybe a hint of the Surrey sand belt but on a grander scale and much more sand) and definitely different to the majority of courses found in Florida. The stand out feature is the vast sandy waste areas (no bunkers) that have to be carefully plotted around. Sone standout holes:

1- a nice opener to ease you in, a tough green to hold, sloping away from all sides.

4-the first taste of the vast waste areas, a 250 carry from the back tees is required to the right hand section of fairway, but this significantly shortens the par 5 for the second, making the green reachable in 2

7- a tough mid/long par 3 with a green the slopes way and to the right with carry over a waste area required.

12- a long par 4 with two separate greens. We played to the right green which required a long iron over a waste area to a very severe green, wish we had of played it while the greens were running at tournament speeds.

14- a par 5 with a waste area bisecting it, the second shot will generally be blind to a severe green, or a layup to the right of the hazard around 70 yards out leaves an awkward approach to another severe green.

15- a short par 4 with two play options. Playing left leaves no more than 100 yards and is a safe play, but the green runs away from you. Playing right and choosing to fly the waste area leaves a short pitch but some pin positions, especially front can be awkward to play to.

All in all we loved our round here and hope to cone back to play rolling oaks some day. Having only seen pictures of Pine Valley I can confirm that this does very much look like I would expect a "poor man's pine valley" to be, but don't be deterred by that moniker, Pine Barrens is more than worth a visit if you are ever in the Tampa/Orlando region.

September 29, 2019

Brian LaBardi

Let me start this by saying I seem to be the only person who doesn’t think streamsong is fantastic. Generally not a very interesting course. The fantastic panoramas featured on their website are generally taken from angles from which you do not play. Just take a look at the analytical data-I think the slope rating was something like 125. I’m not aware of any other highly regarded course with such a low difficulty rating. In the middle of nowhere and outrageously expensive. Skip it.

September 23, 2019

T P Dean
September 25, 2019

Where to start with this review? Firstly I wouldn't consider a course good or bad based upon its difficulty, I find this quite an old fashioned point of view. Who wants to get beaten up on a golf course? Secondly, Streamsong is like no other course I've played, and worlds apart from anything else in Florida. I thought the views, strategy and playability of all three courses on the property to be fantastic. And the setting of the Red and Blue within the dunes is delightful. I'd agree that it's outrageously expensive, but Florida isn't blessed with moderately priced public golf of Streamsong's quality. Please don't skip it if you've got the opportunity to play it and aren't frightened by the green fees.

Colin Braithwaite

Coore&Crenshaw are very good. Red is very good but not great. The first hole does not offer you a good day but rather a gut punch warning you about dangers in the lion’s den. Long uphill into the wind, stay right off the tee to avoid the bunker. If the pin is front good luck. The 2nd is what the first should have been. A good risk reward hole, big hitters can get home in two by favoring the right side, but, danger lurks. Coming in from the left, there is a bunker in the middle of the fairway and the green tilts left. The 3rd hole is a mid length par 4, a good drive splits the middle of the fairway bunkers. This green tilts right so aim about 5 yards left of the pin. The 4th is a short par 4 with a narrow long green. Hopefully, the pin will be either left or right, so that you can avoid the intimidating visual of the bunker guarding the green on your approach. The 5th is a par 4 beast, dogleg right with a water hazard right to a two tiered green. Good luck. The 6th is the first par 3 with a HUGE green. The 7th is a par 5 with water all down the left side. Don’t try to be a hero stay right and get your par. The 8th is a birdie opportunity, especially if the pin is back. Interesting green with a bunker bisecting the front quarter. The short par 4 9th is deceiving in that the bunkers are much further than they look and the green is a dog, severe slope left to right and towards the front.

The backside starts off with a gut punch, a head butt and then a kick to the balls. Ten through twelve are two standard deviations from the mean on the level of difficulty. Ten hard to get home in two, same with 11 and then 12 is 500 yard par 4 and you must be right off the tee to have a chance. You get to exhale on 13 a par five. However, favor the right side as there is a huge sand bunker mogul protecting the green on the left. The 15th will pucker your sphincter once again, a long uphill par 4. Off the tee favor the left but be careful as there is the bunker from hell running along the left side. The par 3 16th is easily my favorite hole, 200 yards over water to a Biarritz green. The green is well over 50 yards so make sure you choose wisely.

Good but not great

September 18, 2018

Russell Dekker

This relatively new course is a great test of golf. I liked Red better that its Blue and Black neighbors at Streamsong. A good design that takes advantage of scenic elements, requires risk/reward strategy, and demands shot making. While I was there the wind was blowing hard, making many of the pins unapproachable. Greens run fast but true. Unlike most Florida courses, Red has many elevation changes. Coore & Crenshaw have done an amazing job designing this gem that is both beautiful and interesting.

March 19, 2018

T P Dean

I managed to fit in playing all three courses at Streamsong over a period of just 30 hours and the Red was first up. Both Red and Blue occupy the same prime piece of land across the spectacular property that’s jam packed full of dunes in the heart of Florida where fairways melt into sandy wasteland.

Whilst both the Blue and Red courses have many similarities, there are some subtle differences. The Red provides the greater test of strategy. There is an abundance of shots at this course, probably more than any other I’ve played where you’re faced with options and involve decision-making. Whilst the fairways are wide, they’re narrowed with the use of centreline bunkering on more than a handful of holes. Streamsong (Red) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer This forces you to choose one side of the fairway and there’s excellent use of contouring and mounding around the greens, the most eye-catching being the small dune that you have to negotiate that stands guard at the entrance to the excellent par five 7th.

The opening three holes are a feast for the senses and I’d go as far to say that the first seven holes on the Red are all of the highest calibre. Water is brought into play more so than the Blue and the one hole that is devoid of water along this opening stretch, the 4th has one of those centreline bunkers and a large dune backboard, straight out of British links golf. The reason my rating falls short of the full 6-ball is that I feel that there’s a mid-round dip in quality; 8, 9 and 10 didn’t do anything for me and occupy the least interesting land on the property.

The back 9 is well over 400 yards longer than the front and with that, the walk feels more of a hike. What felt like a pleasant walk through 9 just felt tiring by the end of the round. The fierce challenge of the back nine is best characterised by the 15th which from the Black tees is uncomfortably long to the point of being unjust. Whilst it’s not the longest Streamsong (Red) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer par four on the course, that honour goes to 12, being asked to hit a 453-yard uphill dogleg with danger all down the inside of the dogleg just felt punishing. In the main, the back nine doesn’t hit the heights of the front but the famous 16th is just awesome. The tee shot at this mid length par three played over the lake is only part of the fun as a massive biarritz green awaits when you’ve found the putting surface.

Whilst Gil Hanse’s handiwork is over on the Black course, I couldn’t help but feel reminded of a round that I played at Hanse’s Castle Stuart in Scotland when I played the Red. The bunkering style and the architecture in general feels more rugged than over on the Blue course, yet it also feels like they moved more earth to create the Red. Overall, there’s very little to choose between the two original courses and everyone will have their own preference but what’s consistent across all three layouts is a fantastically high standard of golf.

As I sunk my putt on the 18th, my first round at Streamsong concluded but there were still another two fine rounds of golf to come.

March 05, 2018