Review for Sundridge Park (East)

I was born in what is now the London Borough of Bromley, but this was my “first time” playing the West Course at Sundridge Park. I’ve played the East Course a handful of times and was looking forward to playing the West.

The course is always well presented and the greens are usually firm, fast and true. Yesterday was no exception and I was punished a few times with putts that simply kept on rolling. I really can’t remember the last time we had any meaningful rainfall in Kent. April has been very dry and on the cool side too. As a result, in some places, the fairways had not really fully recovered from winter and I did get a few lies which were far from perfect.

Other reviewers have already explained the character of the first 11 holes compared to the latter holes, so I won’t dwell on this in detail. The average golfer will find the course challenging with its mixture on blind tee shots on holes such as the 2nd, changes in elevations, such as the 4th and 8th, mature tree lined fairways and fast breaking putts. There’s also the Quaggy River. It’s really little more than a stream, but crosses 6 of the holes, mostly on the back 9. It shouldn’t really come in to play for most golfers, but I managed to get my ball wet twice! The front 9 is the tougher half, but the back 9 felt like some relief. I thought all the Par 3’s were good, the 5th and 7th being my favourites. They are all different lengths and each requires a different club/approach. At around 200 yards finding the green of the 17th is in itself a reward.

There are excellent practice facilities here, although the range is some distance away, a long walk, or a short drive.

I paid £35 playing with a member, which is excellent value. The usual green fee is rather steep I believe, but more reasonable County Card rates are offered. If you live in the London area it’s worth a visit, but it isn’t as good as The Addington, which is not many miles away and falls in a similar price bracket. The course at Shooters Hill has a similar feel to it and offers better value, although off course the facilities are less impressive.

Date: April 30, 2022

Read all reviews about Sundridge Park (East)