Review for Sunningdale (New)

The New was the first course of our day at Sunningdale which was an exceptional experience in every way. We had an early start after checking in our handicap certificates at the frinedly pro shot and enjoying a very nice bacon roll and cup of tea.

We teed off into a rising Sun and with dew on the fairway it was tough to see where the ball went, but an atmospheric start even if the hole is somewhat pedestrian with the aforementioned leyandii partially shielding the practice ground. Once through the first the course really took off, and after some very nice heather and woodland holes I finally had the answer to a question I've often asked myself as I go down the M3 past Fleet Services "I wonder what's in there, that looks nice". Heaven lurks just the other side of the gorse - I was unprepared for the sheer scale and land movement of the New after only seeing the Old on TV. The heathland is huge, with stunning views, and room for another wondrous golf course or more. As one would expect, the course was in superb condition, very good greens and fantastic fun golf even if the heather got a bit of a battering. Like many Links courses, the 1st and 18th are the weakest holes and feel like a means of getting you out into the landscape. That aside, a tremendous course and a very contrasting companion that you definitely should play if you are also playing the Old; it's not too hard walking to do the 36, particularly if you play in nice weather - we were walking on air.

Date: June 01, 2018

Read all reviews about Sunningdale (New)