Sunningdale (New) - Surrey - England

SL5 9RR,

• +44 (0)1344 621681

• 0.25 miles from Sunningdale station

• Contact in advance - Not Fri, Sat, Sun or public hols

Taken together, the New and Old courses at Sunningdale Golf Club represent the finest 36 holes of golf in the whole of the British Isles. The same architect who made modifications to Sunningdale’s Old course, Harry Colt, designed the New course, which opened for play in 1923 to meet the ever-increasing demand for golf.

This is a superb driving course for it is more open than the Old; the trees do not encroach quite so much. Having said this, the New demands long carries from its elevated tees over heathery terrain to narrow fairways. The club has been following a programme of regeneration that has involved the felling of a number of trees, thereby allowing the heather to return. In addition, this has cleared the way for long lost views to reappear across to Chobham Common in the south.

Many people will come to Sunningdale hell-bent on playing the Old course, but if it’s a real athletic challenge you are after, you will get severely tested on the rugged 6,700-yard par 70 New, a tougher, more rounded test of golf than the Old. For many years, Jack Nicklaus held the course record with a 67, which was a testament to the technical test of the New course. However, in June 2009, in Open Championship Final Qualifying, England’s Graeme Storm smashed the course record with an amazing eight-under 62 thereby securing his place in the 2009 Open at Turnberry.

There are many excellent and memorable holes on the New, perhaps not as many as there are on the Old but certainly the 5th is worthy of mention, a charming par three. The views across the treetops to the common beyond are superb.

Sunningdale is located on Surrey and Berkshire’s famous, magical sand-belt, home to so many other fine golf courses. There is no better natural inland golfing terrain anywhere in the world and Sunningdale is blessed with two of the world’s very best heathland courses.

Reviews for Sunningdale (New)

Description: Taken together, the New and Old courses at Sunningdale Golf Club represent the finest 36 holes of golf in the whole of the British Isles. Rating: 9.4 out of 10 Reviews: 38
Mark Hewett
Don't know really what to say. Just an amazing experience today. Beautiful greens but difficult . Stunning track only let down by a couple of week holes. The first isn't great but to be honest from there on its fantastic hole after fantastic hole. My favourite was the 4th where I actually had to let Sam Torrance through. 5th is a great par 3 and to be honest the course doesn't have any week holes. The staff were friendly and attentive. If your a member here your a very lucky person. I must do the old course one day.
March 06, 2013

Darren
I echo the words of the review below: The Old was the better course, but more is remembered when playing the New. Once out onto the common, the land which the New is built on is far better. The views from the 5th and 6th tee boxes are outstanding. What let's it down is that the 1st/2nd and 17th/18th are not as good as this. It's not that they are bad golf holes, but in comparison to the rest of the quality on offer, they are not as good. The Old on the other hand has 18 top quality golf holes, hence it being the better course. Some of the par 3's on this new course are simply fantastic.
November 14, 2012

kevin parfitt
December 21, 2012
An accurate review.Having played both the old and recently the new the latter is slighlty let down by a few holes but in fantastic condition.However the two members I played with(one a former club champ)actually preferred playing the new.The old for me ,not much in it.
Hans Berntson
Strangely enough, I remember more holes from the New than from the Old, yet my feeling is that I liked the Old better. Must be that the beers I had in between rounds sharpened both my memory and my judgement. Having said that, if this course is to be considered lesser, then as a 36 hole club you could be worse off. The course is outstanding. The one-shotters are absolutely sublime (the 5th is on par with the 13th at Muirfield) and there isn't a weak hole to be found. £270 for 36 holes isn't exactly cheap, but we thought it was money well spent.
May 20, 2011

Graham
I was lucky enough to play the New course as a members guest last week. The New course is simply a fantastic course. It has all the elements that make up a superb course - thoughtful design, variation, scale, superb Sunningdale (New) - Photo by Grahamconditioning, good quality greens and ambience. It really does have it all. I played terribly - it was a shame that I didn't do the course or my handicap justice - but it was nonetheless a real thrill to walk onto each tee box and discover the next challenge! Lots of really memorable holes, but for me the 5th (probably the most charming par 3 I've ever played), the 6th (a really intimidating par 5 that looks far longer than it is), the 9th and the 10th are real stand-out holes. The thing that really stood out for me with the New course was just the scale of the course - acres and acres of heather (I should know - I spent plenty of time in it) - and yet the attention to detail around the course - greens, bunkering, heather, drainage - was first class. Just really impressive and a must for any serious golfer.
October 18, 2010

sling
SUNNINGDALE NEW,SWINLEY FOREST, Sooo overated, borderlining pretty forgettable, very dissapointing. my handicapp 8. memorable course Berkshire Red. Wentworth West. & i have to say for the Money Pineridge back 9. Dont take my word for it ,go play & you will understand the difference between a middleweight trying to compete with a Heavyweight.

Hugh
April 28, 2010
Even a blind person wouldn't give Sunnigdale New a poor 2-ball rating. This review is simply wrong. No way is the New course poor. It's at the top end of the Surrey sandbelt courses for certain. Pine Ridge is where the Chavs go to play ten-pin bowling. Suspect the reviewer feels more at home there. Saying Pine Ridge is better than Sunningdale is like saying a council house is better architecturally than a stately home. I'm ignoring this review aren't you?
Cedric
April 28, 2010
Definitely ignore this review!! Just bull....
Sleats
April 29, 2010
Hugh - with you. I am pretty sure this reviewer plays with dunlop clubs in a football shirt. Its neither objective or correct. PineRidge has good potential - and as a members course could be nice but the fact is Sunningdale New already is - its simply fab.
Anthony Daniels
April 29, 2010
I've played both Sunningdale New and Berkshire Red. Both are fantastic, but the New has the edge. To give a course like this a two ball rating is frankly a joke. I'm guessing you didn't get anywhere near your 8 handicap, and that your review was submitted more in anger at your performance, rather than an objective or even a balanced subjective assessment of a wonderful golf course. As per the other responses here, I urge people to take this review with a handful of salt.
Ricey
April 29, 2010
This is possibly the most banal review that I have ever read on this web site - a site that, for the most part, is frequented by people who know what they are talking about. Perhaps, this is because readers have played enough decent courses to pick the wheat from the chaff. I played at St George's Hill today and that may challenge Sunningdale New visually (better really) but not as a test of of golf. Sunningdale New is supreme in terms of inland golf. As for Pine Ridge, cannot comment - not played it. And Egham Municipal (Wentworth)? Not in the same class at all, dear Boy!
Raindog
January 23, 2013
I've played all the top courses on this website, and of course they are all great, so I thought I'll give Pine Ridge a shot, why not, to be fair it was in very good condition, but the design was not very imaginative, the same drive all round long and the approach shots were all very similar, but it is at the high end of the market which it caters for, but I will say that land like this doesn't come up very often for golf courses so it was a big big waste of an opportunity to build another Sunningdale etc..shame really.
John T
August 30, 2014
Pine Ridge is a really really good course, the back 9 is intesresting, the front 9 less so, the land is perfect for golf. Hugh (the 1st responder) is obviously a stuck up snob whose opinion should be considered less worthy than the original reviewer, in fact he should be shot! That said, the original review is wrong, Sunningdale new is the finest inland course in the country, to have 36 holes and a great lunch here is day day never to be forgotten!
david moorcroft
I think the New course at Sunningdale is seriously underated. One of Harry Colt's masterpieces. The course is seriously difficlut for the average player due to it's tightness and small often elevated greens. The first and last holes are a little weak, recent changes to the last have made it a little tougher but still quite an easy par 5. the first originally a bogey five can easily play like a par 5 with the driver generally landing on an upslope and then a long shot to a small green. the rest of the course is just magical. Holes 5 and 6 stand out, & hole 7 while quite unassuming is actually the only hole that plays directly downwind with the prevailing wind and before the water sprinklers went in was nearly as fast as a runway and it being under 400yards perhaps the only hole where you do not want a down wind. The course generally suits someone who fades the ball except stroke index no.1 the 11th hole which has a sharp dog leg, left. Harry Colt has designed a course here that is pure timeless. Both courses at Sunningdale show how new equipment does not really help the best players as the key is Touch not Muscle. The Old will always get the applause as it's beautiful but when you think that you are at the top of your game, book a round on the New, ask to play off the backs and get ready to be humbled.
April 05, 2010

steven Baker
A long standing member of this club very kindly invited myself and partner for 18 holes at this truly remarkable club, the first thing that struck me was how understated the whole place is, It felt like a small club but obviously a massive venue. The staff were kind, courteous and without an ounce of pretence about anything. We played in december so I was not expecting the course to be at it's best but it was in great condition. I know this is supposed to be a review but to be honest just book up and play It because It's what I call a "proper" golf course. I've played the corporate monster known as Wentworth and although the course is good, I had the overwhelming feeling that I was being thoroughly ripped off. I've not played the Old course yet but If It's ranked higher than the new then It must be outstanding
January 19, 2010

January 19, 2010
I agree 100% with the sentiment that Sunningdale is such a wonderful place to visit, both on and off the course. The staff I met here didn't have to try to talk up the courses or the clubhouse - the place does that for itself! One of the most unpretentious and welcoming private clubs that I have ever visited, Sunningdale should be on every serious golfer's "played there" CV.
Cédric
After coming a little disappointed from the Berkshire the previous day, I was expecting a lot from Sunningdale. And it delivered! Big time! And that straight away as I drove through the gate, somehow I already knew at that time that my day would be something to be remembered for a long time. The New is meant to be tougher than the Old (not obvious on my score cards though!!), but it is for sure a "bigger" course, where everything lies in front of you (except the semi blind tee shot on 8th). I agree with Jim that the par 5 6th is a good contender for the best hole on the property. As on the Old, greens were absolutely perfect. Sunningdale really is a great place...By the way, I don't know yet which is my favorite!! So I guess, I'll play both again when I return!! Cédric
May 15, 2009

Anthony Daniels
November 09, 2009
I can't wait to play the New course next March, followed by RSG the day after. I'll be heading back for a knock around the Old course in the summer as well.
Carl Tushingham
This is a fantastic golf course, that has one great hole after another. It has a tough opening hole so you need to be on your game straight away. The best stretch of holes is 4th to the 7th, the prettiest being 5 and 6. The course was in great shape, the tee's and fairways better than some courses greens!! Play 36 holes combined with the Old and you will struggle to find a weak hole, its hard to choose between the two, but for me the Old just about has edge, put these two courses together and I would have 10 holes from the Old and 8 from the New, its that close. For such a prestige club we received a wonderful welcome from staff and members including Sam Torrance!! A magical day to be had at Sunningdale.
April 23, 2009

Philip
There is no better place on god's earth than Sunningdale on a warm and sunny day in early October. The new course (built in the 1920's) is a great test of golf with a huge variety of holes requiring plenty of thought with every shot. The par threes (5 of them) are of particular note mostly being reasonably long off the whites, down hill so clearly laid out in front of you and with some magnificent views. This to me is better than any of the Wentworth tracks and if the Old is better than the new then I look forward, with relish, to returning to complete the set.
October 08, 2008

Andy
October 09, 2008
I tend to agree about the comparison to Wentworth - Sunningdale has the edge for me too. The Old and the New are difficult to split as they are both fantastic...