Review for Sunningdale (Old)

Having played Sunningdale many times over the years, I was blown away by the condition of the course this week. The glorious weather helped but it was absolutely immaculate and a joy to play.

Of all the courses I have had the pleasure to play, the ones that I would love to be a member of are Sunningdale, St Georges Hill, Hankley Common and Royal St Georges. They all pull off the brilliant trick of making you feel like a member for the day and Sunningdale is probably the best example.

From the moment you arrive, everything is first class. The staff are brilliant, the clubhouse welcoming and the food is a delight. A good wine list too!

And what of the courses? This review is for the Old so I will stick to that and say I think it is probably the best golf course in England, with the caveat that it is difficult to compare links and inland courses. I do think there are a couple of slightly weaker holes, the 8th and 11th for example, but the rest is sublime. Pure golfing joy.

It is not cheap to play golf at Sunningdale yet I would say that the cost represents outstanding value for money for what will be a very memorable red-letter day for any keen golfer. It is a wonderful place to be and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Date: August 23, 2020

Read all reviews about Sunningdale (Old)