Review for Talking Stick (O’odham)

This was my very course I played in the USA. I had only been playing for a few months but had the bug so on holiday arranged a 6am tee time in the middle of August. Given that it was the Summer the rate including buggy was only $50, instead of the normal $200+ in the winter.

My 1st and lasting impression was just how well the team there looked after you. On arrival I was met in the parking lot and they carried my bag to the clubhouse where I was given half a dozen callaway balls, my buggy with water spinners to keep me cool and driven down to my range balls with my name on them - all for $50!

The starter cam and introduced himself and then introduced me to my playing partners - I thought I would be on my own. Two were US military personnel and one was a gentleman called Ray who was in his late 50's.

He was astonishingly straight off the tee, GIR every time! After 9 holes it emerged that he used to play on the PGA Tour and was best friends with Jim Furyk. He simply loved to come down every saturday morning and meet new people over a round of golf. What a gentleman.

The course was beautiful. I had never seen attention to detail and conditioning like that before and so it will always leave a lasting impression. There are so many courses around Scottsdale and this may not be the best but for me the entire experience was amazing.

The backdrop to the course was pleasant, the course itself was interesting and in excellent condition, but it will be the welcome, friendliness, attentiveness of the staff but the pure joy of playing alongside Ray that will stick with me forever.

Date: July 13, 2019

Read all reviews about Talking Stick (O’odham)