Tandridge - Surrey - England

RH8 9NQ,

• Andrew Tanner

• Harry Colt, Frank Pont

• Chris Evans

Tandridge Golf Club was founded back in 1924 and the genius architect Harry Colt designed the course. Today’s layout is still clearly a Colt classic with wonderful steep faced bunkering, raised plateaux greens and visionary use of the natural terrain. However only one third of Colt’s original 300 bunkers remain in play. “Two new Kentish courses deserve a word.” Wrote Bernard Darwin in The Golf Courses of Great Britain. “One is Tandridge, which, I know, holds a high place in the affections of its creator, Mr. Colt. Here, besides pretty views, are good turf, sharp sand, a bold country that is not too tiring and some very good holes.”

The 21st century Tandridge measures 6,509 yards from the back tees and par is set at 71. It’s by no means a championship test, but it’s a sporting course for the low handicapper and eminently playable for the average player. The layout weaves through extensive mature woodland where some 45 species of trees add a visual treat and plenty of definition to the holes. Through the gaps in the trees and from the higher ground, spectacular views of the North Downs and the rolling Kent and Sussex countryside unfold. Tandridge genuinely is as pretty as a picture.

Going out, the topography is relatively flat but the golfing test is nevertheless significant with a par five and two challenging par fours to start. The drama really starts on the homeward nine which delightfully changes elevation as holes traverse the hills. “One of the best par threes in Surrey” is how the 223-yard 13th has been described. The green is surrounded by trees and ringed around with bunkers. There’s also an alarming fall off to the right hand side of the green which will kick the ball deep into the woods if you miss the green on this side.

Tandridge has quite rightly earned a reputation as a traditional but very friendly member’s club that specialises in society and corporate days but also welcomes individual visitors. Clubs such as Tandridge are few and far between and those with better cuisine are as rare as the dodo.

Architect Frank Pont kindly provided us with the following comments on the Tandridge restoration project:

“Tandridge was my first client in the UK, and as such will always hold a special place for me. They had put me on their shortlist of architects they considered for their course works because I had been mentioned to them by the author of Creating Classics, the book on Harry Colt. In the end I was fortunate to be selected from a list that included 3 well known UK based architects, and shortly afterwards started work.

Any restoration project has two key components, the analysis and the process part. At Tandridge the analysis part was easy because we had an old aerial picture of the course when it had just opened (quite unique, few other courses have that luxury), plus various on the ground historical pictures of the bunkering, clearly showing the original size and style of the bunkers. We were also lucky that many bunkers had just been grassed over in the past, the equivalent of mothballing, so it was easy to bring them back. Tandridge is quite unique for a Colt course in that it had close to 250 bunkers, more than any other Colt course I have ever seen (even Muirfield has about 100 less). Not only that, but many of the bunkers were absolutely huge. The greatest challenge was to get the committee and the club’s membership to realise what a very special asset they were custodians of, and to convince them that for the real character of their Colt course to re-emerge it was crucial to bring back both a large number of bunkers, but also to restore the bunkers back to their original style and sizes. This was done in various stages, and in the end I presented 6 times to different groups of members, about 300 in total to get their buy in. The construction work itself was fairly straight forward, given that most of the site was quite sandy. This made it possible to do most of the work in late Autumn and early Winter, minimizing disruption for the golfers of the club.

I think the restoration as we did it was a very gutsy move by the club. Adam Lawrence of GCA Magazine called it the most ambitious restoration project underway in the UK when we started, and I think he nailed it with that statement. The good news is that we succeeded and the course now both is a lot more fun to play for the membership (due to the fact that we brought back both strategy and width to the course, giving the players choices), and also has become a lot more compelling visually due to the restored impressive bunkers. Further continued tree removal at strategic spots such as hole 18 and 15 right will only further enhance this.

The results have been very satisfying, both in terms of members reactions but also in the rankings. I am confident that in the coming years the course’s reputation will only grow with increased focus on fast and firm conditions and more short grass around the greens. If there is one thing that still needs work on the course it is executing the planned tree removals in certain spots and also bringing back more heather, two steps that could further lift the course yet another notch in quality.”

Reviews for Tandridge

Description: Tandridge Golf Club is billed as “the best kept golfing secret in Surrey” but we make no apology for letting the cat out of the bag. Rating: 7.5 out of 10 Reviews: 57
Carl Tushingham
The first four holes are good, with the first three also being very tough I then feel the course goes very average until the the back nine. For me the back nine is excellent, with the stand out stretch being 11-14, with the pick being the much mentioned 14th. The back nine reminds of Hindhead with the elevation changes through valleys and almost every green is raised making you club up regularly. The greens were very good but the fairways were very boggy and to me it didn't drain well. The is a good members club, but I am shocked by all the 6 ball ratings on here, it is certainly not in that league for me.
November 15, 2011

Jack McEntire
I have played Tandridge a number of times and am always impressed with the drive from the entrance to the old traditional clubhouse. I have always found the course and the greens especially to be in excellent condition and a very fair of test of golf for any handicapper. The modifications to the course and bunkers will obviously make it a little tougher without going away from the present architecture. It's always a joy to play at Tandridge and the staff and members I've always found to be very friendly.
October 24, 2011

Jan Visser
Tandridge is a lovely course that they are bringing back to a state where it reflects the original ideas of Harry Colt. I enjoyed my round thoroughly and I will recommend it to everyone that will visit the area. It has a good mixture of long and short par 4’s. The par 3 holes are as usual with Colt a delight. Currently, one can clearly see the discrepancy between the already renovated holes and the ones that need to be done. It already is a good course, but should turn out to be an interesting test of your golf where a good strategy is needed to score well.
September 30, 2011

Toby Roche
Despite the awful weather I thoroughly enjoyed my round. Both the greens and the fairways were in excellent condition, and drained extremely well. The course was challenging, yet rewarding, I hope to return soon.
September 12, 2011

peter
I am lucky enough to have two friends who are members at TGC so I get to play there three or four times a year. The course has changed a lot over the last few years with extra bunkers and distance added to quite a few holes. The condition of the course however is consistently excellent. It's a pleasure walking around Tandridge with the various views and changing colours of the landscape not to mention an excellent golf course!
September 08, 2011

Tom
I thoroughly enjoyed my recent round of the white tees. I even got an eagle at the 6th. I enjoyed the Harry Colt layout design and on the 18th Tee was reminded of Pine Valley and its similar exploration of risk reward - a test my playing partners and I failed shamefully. I would recommend a visit.
September 06, 2011

Adrian Foster
Played the course for the first time this year in June and was most impressed with the changes made. The entrance gate gives an impressive feel to your arrival.On the course the changes to the bunkers with the "links" type surrounds were a great improvement giving a natural feel to the course. The quality of the greens and surrounds was excellent and together with the additional driving range facility all in all showed excellent value for the investment the Club has made. The Clubhouse was full of its usual character and all the staff from welcoming through the pro shop and into the bar were all friendly and polite. It is a treat to play such a course.
August 03, 2011

robert manning
I have played Tandridge many times in deepest Winter but was lucky enough to have a game there recently in bright June sunshine. I was quite taken aback by some of the beautiful views which I just hadn't taken in before and the course really 'came to life' for me. The green staff are clearly moving this course forward. Bunker improvements have taken the design closer to its original form and the course was in good condition with true greens which were receptive but quick enough to make it a proper test.The course is undulating which makes club selection harder - and therefore more satisfying when you get it right.As ever, the clubhouse was a joy. Modern facilities, good food, friendly staff whilst retaining that old school feel.golf as it should be, in my humble opinion.
July 11, 2011

Fraser
Reviewing the round. Plenty of car parking, welcoming club house for a pre game coffee & a nice seating area outside overlooking the practice green. Changing rooms were very smart.I found the greens quite quick but true & in excellent condition. The course was obviously going through a few design changes, mainly to add some yardage but this didn't interfere with our game & off the whites the current layout is a good challenge.There were some stunning drives from elevated tees with all fairways in good condition & accurately marked for yardage.A great course with a friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended.
June 20, 2011

Frederick Gibbs
Having played Tandridge half a dozen times now, I rate it very highly interms of being a fair challenge on a very pleasant course with some wonderful views on a number of particularly good holes.The Club House is pleasant and the food represents good value for the quality of food delivered. Altogether an experience worth repeating.
June 18, 2011