Review for Taunton & Pickeridge

I’d love to get more of our raters to see Taunton & Pickeridge as I think it’s a course that has plenty going for it. Should you be passing Taunton on the M5 motorway you should consider making a short detour, I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

The starting few holes and the closer are hardly noteworthy, but in between there's a lot of good stuff going on. The limestone workings (some say calamine) provide unrivalled inland interest, perhaps only matched at Yelverton.

T&P flies well under the radar and I think this is one of Somerset’s best courses where Herbert Fowler was the driving force behind much of the design, assisted later by his associate Tom Simpson. You can see the join very clearly between the newer Hawtree holes and the old originals, which is a shame, as this course would otherwise be a strong contender for English Top 100 consideration… certainly Top 200 potential.

The fairway and greensite at #9 is pure theatre and most of the six one-shotters are interesting holes. I also like the boomerang-shaped, 280-yard short par four 15th which is way more tricky than its yardage might suggest.

T&P is unheralded, understated and underrated. Play it and beg to differ.

Date: November 04, 2019