During the IAGTO Fam Trip to Rio we took 2 days to go to Porto Seguro and experience Trancoso in fantastic 4 bedroom villas plus play this awesome golf course located in a piece of land similar to Dye fore or Teeth of the Dog in Dominican Republic. It was designed by a guy who worked with the Dye family and it shows a lot specially in fairway shaping and greens design, plus perfectly well using the geography to create fantastic level changes and locating tees and greens in spots near the Ocean, cliffs or in between the jungle. After playing it I had the sensation of having played Dye Fore, also with the presence of that Anfitheatre beside 5th tee.
The course is kept in great shape, greens rolling fast and with windy conditions it was extremely fun to play. So fun it was that after a morning round and light lunch, in a twosome we rushed for another round in 1h57mins finishing every hole! And scoring decently.
About the course there are long par 4s, 2 great and reachable short ones, par 5s allow you to take some risks and all 4 par 3s are excellent. My only regret is it is the only course in the destination, so if you go there for a golf trip it is just a very nice beach and play this course as many times as you want as there was nobody but us ... and ROGER WATERS!!!
Will take a ride to the best holes:
- 4th Par 4: great dogleg to the right with an uphill second shot to a huge two platform green.
- 5th Par 5: dogleg right for the second shot where going for the green will be over the trees to a volcanoe green.
- 6th par 4: short one to a very nice small green, where you can go for it but if missing to the bunkers the approach is brutal.
- 10th par 4: nice tee shot over the water and downhill approach.
- 11th par 3: long one, extremely tough green and demanding shot.
- 12th par 4: reachable (I did with the 3 wood downwind) but if you miss either side or long there is big trouble. The stretch 12-15 boards the cliff and the ocean.
- 13th par 5: nice one, amazing location of the tee box. Green in two platforms offer many pin positions.
- 14th par 3: signature hole, carry over the cliff to a green that slopes 3 platforms from higherto lower and closed to the cliff, WOW!!
- 15th par 4: great tee shot over the cliff and ocean, downhill approach where the challenge is to get the correct distance.
- 17th par 4: my favourite, downhill long par 4 to an amazing green complex. The one that reminded me most about the Dye Fore Course in Dominican Republic.
Trancoso is clearly a great course and could battle for an at least World Top 200 spot. I have played many Top 100 which are not even close to the quality of this one ...
If you like the beach and want to mix it with some golf ... Trancoso!! And you can combine it with Rio de Janeiro playing the Olympic Course as well.
Date: November 30, 2017