Founded in 1914, Texarkana Country Club started out with a 9-hole course built on a 105-acre property. Putting surfaces were perfectly round and made of sand, with a hole placed right in the middle.
After raising $125,000 to purchase additional land at the start of the 1920s, the Chicago-based architectural team of William Langford and Theodore Moreau was commissioned to fashion a new 18-hole layout.
Unfortunately, remodelling work during the 1950s resulted in the removal of a number of fairway cross bunkers and greenside traps, which watered down the original architectural intent of the course’s Golden age design.
Ron Prichard was engaged at the start of the new millennium to restore the course, bringing back into play many of the hazards that had been insensitively grassed over half a century before.
The gentle contours of the landscape permit subtle elevation changes, with tree-lined fairways routed around a sparkling lake on the front nine and wandering creeks on the back nine.
Notable holes include the 437-yard 4th, doglegging slightly left from tee to green; the 155-yard 11th, the shortest of the four par threes on the card; and the 291-yard 17th, which is played to a shallow green fronted by a couple of bunkers.