The Patterson Club - Connecticut - USA

The Patterson Club,
1118 Cross Highway,
Fairfield,
Connecticut (CT) 06824,
USA


  • +1 203 259 5244

In 1929, The Patterson Club was established as a Dining and Social Club by General Electric Company employees in downtown Bridgeport. Sixteen years later, the club moved ten miles west to neighbouring Fairfield, when the company purchased Quasset Farm “for the betterment of their local executives.”

This was the home of Carlton H. Palmer and Winthrop Palmeer, the first female State Senator for Connecticut, who trained horses on the 163-acre estate. Within two years, woodlands and swamps had been cleared and old farm stone walls dismantled before fairways were routed around five man-made lakes by Robert Trent Jones Sr.

The course was officially opened on 28th June 1947, with Bobby Jones (under contract with Coca Cola) and Gene Sarazen (who had business connections with General Electric) participating in the inaugural four-ball match. Both players carded identical 74s and this round of golf is said to be one of the last that Bobby Jones ever played.

As time went by, membership was extended to “community members” outside General Electric and eventually the club was sold to its members in 1968. The introduction of a new clubhouse in 2010 led to Rees Jones rebuilding two greens (#6 and #18), renovating all the bunkers, constructing new tees and improving drainage.

If the above article is inaccurate, please let us know by clicking here

Write a review

Reviews for The Patterson Club

Average Reviewers Score:
TaylorMade