Review for Thorpeness

I played this coastal heathland course in March, at a time when we had experienced so much rain you were more likely to see Noah’s Arc on my local Hertfordshire courses than any golfers.

No such problems at Thorpeness, the course was in excellent condition - firm fairways and greens throughout which made such a welcome change.

The tree and gorse lined James Braid design will make you think on almost every tee, especially when you factor in the well placed bunkers. The greens are worth a mention too, some of the putts must be frightening in the summer months.

I felt the back 9 was stronger than the front, with the par 4 13th, playing straight into the wind on the day a real challenge.

I particularly enjoyed the par 5 14th, a dog leg to the left offering a real risk/reward 2nd shot to a green tucked away behind trees and protected by well placed bunkers.

The 15th was another good dog leg, requiring a very good drive to cut the corner if you want to avoid a very long iron approach for your 2nd shot.

Finishing up on 18 towards the house in the sky and the windmill this was certainly a great place to play winter golf, and I will be back to try it in the summer too!

Date: March 09, 2020