Review for Torrey Pines (South)

I suppose the first thing to say is that the residents of san diego are pretty fortunate to have a US open venue available to them so easily, something that seems to go against the grain ( so to speak) of many top US golf courses. The course I feel was very well routed and they have done pretty well to create some veryTorrey Pines (South) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer nice holes on some relatively flat land. The bunkering I feel was another strength, with fairway bunkers often very much in play from the tee and having to be considered. Upon finishing my round however I was somewhat underwhelmed, just expected more quality holes from a major championship course and none that I thought were genuinely great. The Strongest Stretch was from 1 to 4 with the highlight being the par 3 third, that could almost have been a small piece of kauri cliffs or cape kidnappers. Unfortunately the conditioning was far inferior to those two and the many of the remaining holes less memorable. Ultimately I left with the impression there are likely to be hundreds of similar courses in the States. It was nice to have that approach to 18 over the water and see the ball spin back down the hole though!

Date: December 03, 2013

Read all reviews about Torrey Pines (South)